Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Weight & volume

Sorry, My first post didn't take. If A1 has a weight lets say 1 1/2 lbs.
and B1 is 10% water. Whats the results in C1? Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Richard,

A1 doesn't have any weight, it's a cell in a spreadsheet that holds data.
Likewise, B1 is a cell and I hope it only contains data, not water. So,
assuming that the value entered in A1 is 1.5 pounds and B1 contains the
value 10% or 0.1, you're wanting to find out something like the weight of
the solution that is attributable to water. Unfortunately, you haven't
really told us what the result in C1 is supposed to represent which makes it
impossible to give you a legitimate answer.

Steve Yandl

"Richard" wrote in message
Sorry, My first post didn't take. If A1 has a weight lets say 1 1/2 lbs.
and B1 is 10% water. Whats the results in C1? Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you mean that given a weight in A1, and a % value in B1 that represents
how much of A1 is a certain material (as water), then
=A1 * B1 will tell you how much of the weight of A1 is water
or
=A1 - (A1*B1)
will tell you how much of the weight in A1 is NOT water.

So far none of this has anything to do with volume.

"Richard" wrote:

Sorry, My first post didn't take. If A1 has a weight lets say 1 1/2 lbs.
and B1 is 10% water. Whats the results in C1? Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're talking about solutions or mixtures, there are many ways the
proportions of components might be expressed that would involve a percentage
value. Certainly, if a solution is 10% water by weight the calculation you
offered makes sense and as you suggest, volume isn't being considered.
However, you can also have solutions or mixtures where you refer to a
percentage of one component referenced against the total by volume. This
gets more complex because more often than not, substances that create
solutions tend to result in finished volumes that are not additive. For
example, one liter of ethanol mixed with nine liters of water will result in
a volume somewhat less than ten liters so it becomes important to define the
numerator and denominator in the percentage expression for whatever
determination you're making.

Richard needs to provide far more information before anyone can provide him
an answer that will be of any real use.

Steve Yandl

"Richard" wrote:

Sorry, My first post didn't take. If A1 has a weight lets say 1 1/2
lbs.
and B1 is 10% water. Whats the results in C1? Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I agree. I didn't even want to bring up things like specific gravity, or
relative weights of components without consideration for volume. i.e., an
item (who knows what it would be) made 50/50 by weight of lead and styrofoam
would have grossly different ratio when based on volume.