Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Circular reference EASY question HELP

Hi all, I'm fairly new with Excel so let's see if I can get a quick answer
for my question :).

I am trying to add a base number to whatever number i Input within the same
cell. For example: The Cell I am working with is I4. The base number I want
is 3500. I want that added to whatever I type in the cell and summed in the
same cell. So if I type in 2200, the sum would be 5700. =SUM(3500,I4) does
not work. I get a 0 in the cell and if I try to input 2200, the formula just
erases. I need this formula for alot of cells all with the base number of
3500 and random input numbers. This IS possible isn't it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's not possible without using VB programming. A better method would be to
input your values in one set of cells, and see the sum in another cell. This
is traditionally preferred because you now have a record of where your values
came from and how you got there. For instance, you could have A1 = 3500, and
then input your values in B2:D5.

Then, in E2 write this formula:
=$A$1+B2

And copy down to row 5, and across to column G.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M