Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Text and Value in Cell

Hi there, hope this is the correct forum.....would like some help with Excel.

Heres what I want to do:

In cell A1 (for example) I want to add say...10 bananas, in cell A2 I want
to say 25 apples, then I want to add the values only of 10 and 25 and display
the result of 25 in A3. I know how to do that when text in cells A1 and A2 is
NOT present, can this be done WITH text present in those cells?

If yes.....how?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Harry

Yes this is the correct forum

You can do this using a combination of functions .
SEARCH to find the space and LEFT to get the numeric value Try the below in A3

=LEFT(A1,SEARCH(" ",A1))+LEFT(A2,SEARCH(" ",A2))

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"HarryP" wrote:

Hi there, hope this is the correct forum.....would like some help with Excel.

Heres what I want to do:

In cell A1 (for example) I want to add say...10 bananas, in cell A2 I want
to say 25 apples, then I want to add the values only of 10 and 25 and display
the result of 25 in A3. I know how to do that when text in cells A1 and A2 is
NOT present, can this be done WITH text present in those cells?

If yes.....how?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Cheers!