Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Enter text in a cell to return a text value in same cell

Hi

I need to be able to enter a text abbreviation to represent a client address
in a cell for it to return the full address in the same cell

ie

If I type MD in cell A1 it will return MacDonalds, Unit 5............etc in
the same cell

I have a database sheet which is referenced for the full address and use the
IF formula to locate the correct address from the abbreviated text.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Const WS_RANGE As String = "H1:H10" '<== change to suit

On Error GoTo ws_exit
Application.EnableEvents = False

With Target
Select Case .Value
Case "MD": .Value = "McDonald, Unit 5"
Case "PE": .Value "Peters, Brick Lane"
'etc
End Select
End With
End If

ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True

HTH

Bob

"Danno 24/7" wrote in message
Hi

I need to be able to enter a text abbreviation to represent a client
address
in a cell for it to return the full address in the same cell

ie

If I type MD in cell A1 it will return MacDonalds, Unit 5............etc
in
the same cell

I have a database sheet which is referenced for the full address and use
the
IF formula to locate the correct address from the abbreviated text.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Bob

How do I enter the Database sheet cell in the line :

case "MD": .value = ???

I guess 'DBASE'!A1 rather than "text"?

"Danno 24/7" wrote in message
Hi

I need to be able to enter a text abbreviation to represent a client
address
in a cell for it to return the full address in the same cell

ie

If I type MD in cell A1 it will return MacDonalds, Unit 5............etc
in
the same cell

I have a database sheet which is referenced for the full address and use
the
IF formula to locate the correct address from the abbreviated text.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use

Worksheets("DBASE").Range("A1").Value

Do you have the codes in that sheet as well, so you could look it all up in
one go?

--
HTH

Bob

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Const WS_RANGE As String = "H1:H10" '<== change to suit

On Error GoTo ws_exit
Application.EnableEvents = False

With Target
Select Case .Value
Case "MD": .Value = "McDonald, Unit 5"
Case "PE": .Value "Peters, Brick Lane"
'etc
End Select
End With
End If

ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True

HTH

Bob

addy)

"Danno 24/7" wrote in message
Hi

I need to be able to enter a text abbreviation to represent a client
address
in a cell for it to return the full address in the same cell

ie

If I type MD in cell A1 it will return MacDonalds, Unit
5............etc
in
the same cell

I have a database sheet which is referenced for the full address and
use
the
IF formula to locate the correct address from the abbreviated text.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry bob you'll have to expalin further.

Use

Worksheets("DBASE").Range("A1").Value

instead of

case "MD": .value = ???

or enter

case "MD": Worksheets("DBASE").Range("A1").Value

There aren't any codes in DBASE sheet.

"Danno 24/7" wrote in message
Hi

I need to be able to enter a text abbreviation to represent a client
address
in a cell for it to return the full address in the same cell

ie

If I type MD in cell A1 it will return MacDonalds, Unit
5............etc
in
the same cell

I have a database sheet which is referenced for the full address and
use
the
IF formula to locate the correct address from the abbreviated text.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well do I need to change the line

case "MD": .value = "MacDonald, Unit 5............."

Worksheets("DBASE").Range("A1").Value

or

case "MD": .value = Worksheets("DBASE").Range("A1").Value

Sorry for being a dumb ass! :D

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

which bit?

--