Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sf sf is offline

Default Updating Information in all worksheet.

I have information that repeats itself on multiple sheets and when I have to
update the information, I have to go through each sheet to fix the same thing.
I want to know is there a way to automatically update similar information in
multiple worksheets just by changing the information on the Mastersheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use linking formulas:

=Mastersheet!M34

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200855

"SF" wrote:

I have information that repeats itself on multiple sheets and when I have to
update the information, I have to go through each sheet to fix the same thing.
I want to know is there a way to automatically update similar information in
multiple worksheets just by changing the information on the Mastersheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

If you are building linked formulas there should be no problem as suggested.

If not you can use Replace against all the sheets in the workbook at once by
selecting all the sheet tabs and pressing Ctrl+H then entering what you want
to replace with what you now want.

A third alternative is to use VBA.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"SF" wrote:

I have information that repeats itself on multiple sheets and when I have to
update the information, I have to go through each sheet to fix the same thing.
I want to know is there a way to automatically update similar information in
multiple worksheets just by changing the information on the Mastersheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sf sf is offline

I running into a few problems.

1. When I type in the linking formula and press enter, the formula remains
in the cell.
2. When it does work, it is not formatting the information the way I have it
in the masterlist. If I have the information on two lines, it combines it
into one line. If I try to edit it, the formula remains in the cell.

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Use linking formulas:

=Mastersheet!M34

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200855

"SF" wrote:

I have information that repeats itself on multiple sheets and when I have to
update the information, I have to go through each sheet to fix the same thing.
I want to know is there a way to automatically update similar information in
multiple worksheets just by changing the information on the Mastersheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have two problems. One is hard, the other is easy. The easy one first.
If you type a formula in a cell and the formula appears in both the formula
bar and the cell itself, then either the cell has been formatted to Text (fix
by formatting the cell to General and re-entering the formula) or Excel is
displaying formulas instead of results (fix by touching CNTRL-`)

The second problem is that any linking formula only carries the content and
not the format of the source. You need to format the destination cell
separately.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200855

"SF" wrote:

I running into a few problems.

1. When I type in the linking formula and press enter, the formula remains
in the cell.
2. When it does work, it is not formatting the information the way I have it
in the masterlist. If I have the information on two lines, it combines it
into one line. If I try to edit it, the formula remains in the cell.

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Use linking formulas:

=Mastersheet!M34

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200855

"SF" wrote:

I have information that repeats itself on multiple sheets and when I have to
update the information, I have to go through each sheet to fix the same thing.
I want to know is there a way to automatically update similar information in
multiple worksheets just by changing the information on the Mastersheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sf sf is offline

I keep trying to use the formula suggested but its just not working for me,
the formula just remains in the cell. Is there anything else that should be
present or active when trying to link data.

"SF" wrote:

I have information that repeats itself on multiple sheets and when I have to
update the information, I have to go through each sheet to fix the same thing.
I want to know is there a way to automatically update similar information in
multiple worksheets just by changing the information on the Mastersheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sf sf is offline

Thank you! I did have the format on text, As soon as I switched it,
everything work out.

Question: If I happen to insert a new row in the mastersheet that shifts
everything up, will I have to change the formulas again.

"SF" wrote:

I running into a few problems.

1. When I type in the linking formula and press enter, the formula remains
in the cell.
2. When it does work, it is not formatting the information the way I have it
in the masterlist. If I have the information on two lines, it combines it
into one line. If I try to edit it, the formula remains in the cell.

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Use linking formulas:

=Mastersheet!M34

--