Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Default Conditional Formatting Relative to adjacent cells

Hi Guys,
Here is my problem: I havea table of data, rows of figures split in to
columns according to date. What I would like to do is compare each figure
with the previous date's figure (quartely, though that should make no
difference). All conditional formatting seems to be able to do for me is
simply compare all the data and grade them subsequently and every time I try
a relative formula (though I am probably doing it wrong) it tells me I cannot
do it.

What I basically want to do is highlight, for each piece of data, whether or
not is was higher or lower than the previous quarter. Is this possible
without going through every piece of data?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Max
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
post what CF you have tried so that we might understand why excel is saying
"you can't do that."

regards
FSt1

"Max" wrote:

Hi Guys,
Here is my problem: I havea table of data, rows of figures split in to
columns according to date. What I would like to do is compare each figure
with the previous date's figure (quartely, though that should make no
difference). All conditional formatting seems to be able to do for me is
simply compare all the data and grade them subsequently and every time I try
a relative formula (though I am probably doing it wrong) it tells me I cannot
do it.

What I basically want to do is highlight, for each piece of data, whether or
not is was higher or lower than the previous quarter. Is this possible
without going through every piece of data?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Max

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the active cell when you select CF is B2, use the condition: Cell Value
Is/ greater than/ =A1 (or =A2, or whatever cell you wish to use with which
to compare B2), then select your format for greater.
Then Add, and do the equivalent for less than.

What are you trying to do when it tells you that you can't do it? What,
exactly, is the error message?
--
David Biddulph