Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default shared workbook growing in size

Hello, I have a document that is shared with 10-15 people. All of us have
either MO 2003 or 2007. The document has a few lines of code in VBA that run
on the selection change event that calculate due dates. Gradually throughout
the week the file increases in size from 120KB to 100,000KB although little
to no data is being added. The document then begins to open slowly and take a
long period of time when saving. I have the shared options set to not track
changes and I daily go in and remove users who have been in since the
previous day. I have researched online and the only solution I have found is
to use Access which is not viable because my co-workers are not familiar with
the program. Any ideas???? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 27 May, 16:31, PullingMyHairOut
wrote:
Hello, I have a document that is shared with 10-15 people. All of us have
either MO 2003 or 2007. The document has a few lines of code in VBA that run
on the selection change event that calculate due dates. Gradually throughout
the week the file increases in size from 120KB to 100,000KB although little
to no data is being added. The document then begins to open slowly and take a
long period of time when saving. I have the shared options set to not track
changes and I daily go in and remove users who have been in since the
previous day. I have researched online and the only solution I have found is
to use Access which is not viable because my co-workers are not familiar with
the program. Any ideas???? *Thanks.

This is a known issue when sharing Excel files.. What causes it is
that a history is maintained of profile/changes made by each
individual. Also…whenever Excel closes unexpectedly, "ghost users"
can remain in a "shared" workbook. Excel tracks changes in order to
synchronize between users, resulting in huge file sizes. In order to
fix the problem click Share Workbook (Review tab, Changes group in
2007 or Tools/Share Workbook in earlier). On the Editing tab see if
there are any "Users" using the workbook. If so, remove them by
clicking "Remove User." When you save again, the file should be back
to normal.

Or.. unshare.. then resave.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930253

Hope this helps!