Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default using the same range name on different worksheets in a workbook

I'm writing VBA code that performs actions based on the names of cells in a
worksheet.

I'm building an application that has multiple worksheets in a workbook, and
I have written some VBA code in a general module that I would like to be
able to use in each of the worksheets.

Part of the code performs actions based on the Range names of certain cells
in the worksheet. Since I would like to be able to use this same code to
perform the same operations in the various worksheets, I would like to be
able to create the same Range name to corresponding cells in each workbook,
so the code will perform the same actions in each of the worksheets. (I
need to assign Range names because the "corresponding" cells aren't always
in the same Row).

However, I have noticed that if I try to use a Range name in one worksheet
that has already been defined in another worksheet, it won't let you do it.

Is there any way I can give cells in two different worksheets the same Range
name, so the same VBA code can be used to perform the same operations in the
different worksheets?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

If the names are same then how will 'Excel' know which name you ant to refer
to?

One simple workaround is to prefix the names by sheetnames and use that in
your code.

"Paul" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default using the same range name on different worksheets in a workboo

Paul,
I'm far from an MVP but am going thru kind of the same thing.
Named ranges are at workbook level, You cannot assign exactly the
same name on two diff sheets. I tried. The second time you put the same
name in, it overrides the sheet name and cell addresses of the 1st.

You'll need an intermediate step(s) to give you equivalent ranges from two
different places. I've attached a function I use that you can modify to
your needs. You'll have to deal with the Workbook.Names VBA collection and
the
.RefersTo property.

'sheet Ws1 Named Range "RangeOne" =Ws1!$A$1:$D$1 '4 cells row 1

'sheet Ws2 Named Range "RangeTwo" =Ws2!$D$9:$G$9 '4 cells row 9

Sub GeneralCode()

dim Ws As Worksheet
Dim DataRng as Range, CellsAdr as String, NamedRange as string

If activesheet.name = "ws1" then
NamedRange = "RangeOne"
Set Ws = sheets("ws1")
elseif activesheet.name = "ws2" then
NamedRange = "RangeTwo"
Set Ws = sheets("ws2")
end if

CellsAdr = _
sCellAdr_vsRefToF(Activeworkbook.names(NamedRange) .RefersTo)
' Above gets the "pure" address of the data without the sheet

Set DataRng = Ws.Range(CellsAdr) ' 4 cells of data in the range

' Your code. Above code not tested, the function below works.

End Sub

Public Function sCellAdr_vsRefToF(sRefersTo As String) As String
' Return plain address portion from "=Ws1!$A$1:$D$1
' .Names(xxxx).RefersTo
'also works for named range areas "=SheetName!$A$1:$D$1,!$R4:$S$20"

Dim Text As String, iByte As Integer

iByte = InStr(sRefersTo, "!")

Text = Right(sRefersTo, Len(sRefersTo) - iByte)

Text = Replace(Text, "!", "")

sCellAdr_vsRefToF = Text

End Function

--
Neal Z

"Paul" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Paul,
I'm far from an MVP but am going thru kinda the
same thing.

Named ranges are @ workbook level, cannot duplicate them.
I tried. Putting in the same name again overrides the first.

You'll need an "identification" section in your general code.

Below has not not been tested but should be very close to working.
The function at the end works. I use it.
You'll be dealing with the Workbook.Names collection and the
.RefersTo property.

1st sheet, Ws1 Named range "RangeOne" =Ws1!$A$1:$D$1 4 cells row 1
2nd sheet, Ws2 Named range "RangeTwo" =Ws2!$E$9:$H$9 4 cells row 9

Sub General()

Dim Ws as worksheet, NamedRange as string, DataRng as range
dim CellsAdr as string

if activesheet.name = "ws1" then
set ws = sheets("ws1")
NamedRange = "RangeOne"

elseif activesheet.name = "ws2" then
set ws = sheets("ws2")
NamedRange = "RangeTwo"
end if

CellsAdr = _
sCellAdr_vsRefToF(Activeworkbook.names(NamedRange) .RefersTo)
'Above gets "pure" address without the sheet reference

set datarng = Ws.range(cellsadr) '4 cells worth of data from wherever

'Your code. You'll have to get the answer back to the correct Ws.
' If Ws.Name = "Ws1" then .....

End sub

Public Function sCellAdr_vsRefToF(sRefersTo As String) As String

'Return plain address portion from "=Ws1!$A$1:$D$1 .Names(xxxx).RefersTo
'areas will work too "=Ws1!$A$1:$D$1,!$H$8:$J$10

"Paul" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Paul,

You can do this using Names that are scoped as Local to the worksheet:

Define names like Sheet1!Fred as =Sheet1!$A$4 and Sheet2!Fred as
=Sheet2!$B$77 etc

If you download Name manager from
http://www.decisionmodels.com/downloads.htm
it can simplify creating and managing these kind of names.

BTW although it is possible for a name to be both Local and Global I do not
recommend this as it is error-prone.

Charles
___________________________________
The Excel Calculation Site

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

On May 27, 12:10*pm, Neal Zimm wrote:
Paul,
* I'm far from an MVP but am going thru kinda the
* same thing.

* Named ranges are @ workbook level, cannot duplicate them.
* I tried. *Putting in the same name again overrides the first.

* You'll need an "identification" section in your general code.

* Below has not not been tested but should be very close to working.
* The function at the end works. I use it.
* You'll be dealing with the Workbook.Names collection and the
* .RefersTo property.

*1st sheet, Ws1 Named range "RangeOne" *=Ws1!$A$1:$D$1 *4 cells row 1
*2nd sheet, Ws2 Named range "RangeTwo" *=Ws2!$E$9:$H$9 *4 cells row 9

*Sub General()

*Dim Ws as worksheet, NamedRange as string, DataRng as range
*dim CellsAdr as string

*if activesheet.name = "ws1" then
* *set ws = sheets("ws1")
* *NamedRange = "RangeOne"

"Paul" wrote:
[...]

Paul- Hide quoted text -

Instead of that, you can just pass the current RANGE to the function/
sub as an argument.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks , everyone. You've given me some interesting ideas I can experiment
with.

In this particular case, Patrick Molloy's solution works just fine - range
name the cell and copy the worksheet. I've tested it, and it does exactly
what I require. That is, the code in the general module operates on the
range in the active worksheet, and leaves the others alone, even though
those other worksheets have the same range names.

Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Works great, Patrick. Please see my comments to the group elsewhere in this
thread.

Thanks

Paul