Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Countif with two conditions and cells one a number and other text

I have a need to write a formula that counts how many hours someone has spent
working on a particular type of equipment. I have the information in two
cells, one containing the total hours, and one contains the type of
equipment. there are hundreds of employees working on 4 types of equipment
over a 14 day period. I need to be able to quantify how many hours each
employee has worked on each type of equipment. Is there a formula that can
look at the two cells and quantify the hours based on the second cell
(equipment)?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="Type1"),(B1:B100))
with types in Col A and hours in Col B.

Instead of "Type1" you can use a reference containing the type you want
like this
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100=C1),(B1:B100))
"Frank Alonso" wrote:

I have a need to write a formula that counts how many hours someone has spent
working on a particular type of equipment. I have the information in two
cells, one containing the total hours, and one contains the type of
equipment. there are hundreds of employees working on 4 types of equipment
over a 14 day period. I need to be able to quantify how many hours each
employee has worked on each type of equipment. Is there a formula that can
look at the two cells and quantify the hours based on the second cell
(equipment)?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Frank Alonso wrote:
I have a need to write a formula that counts how many hours someone has spent
working on a particular type of equipment. I have the information in two
cells, one containing the total hours, and one contains the type of
equipment. there are hundreds of employees working on 4 types of equipment
over a 14 day period. I need to be able to quantify how many hours each
employee has worked on each type of equipment. Is there a formula that can
look at the two cells and quantify the hours based on the second cell
(equipment)?

Try SUMPRODUCT for subtotals over two or more conditions:
http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html

Or try a pivot table for an instant big picture.