Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default text typed across columns vanishes at a certain point...it's a dead zone!

I'm using an Excel 2002 spreadsheet to keep notes. There seems to be a dead
zone at a certain place where I can type in text across about 10 or so
columns but when I hit enter everything after the 7th column vanishes. The
text is still there and it will show up if I use F2 to edit it, but when I
hit enter it vanishes again. This dead zone only seems to be in about 6
rows and it is variable, sometimes starting after the 7th column, sometimes
after the 5th.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting this?

jc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm using an Excel 2002 spreadsheet to keep notes. There seems to be
a dead zone at a certain place where I can type in text across about
10 or so columns but when I hit enter everything after the 7th column
vanishes. ...

Excel's built-in Help has a page about "Excel specifications and limits."

For Excel 2003 (what I use), it says:

Length of cell contents (text)
32,767 characters.
Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar

Hope that helps.