Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Links to Local Drive Instead of Same Folder

We are using external links to files residing in the same folder as the file
requesting the link. Occassionally, these links decide to look in
\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\ instead of the same folder
where the file is for updates. And there are no files with the same names in
that location, so the information doesn't update. This can cost $thousands$
if the user doesn't realize the links aren't working.

How can we stop this from happening? I used to be able to open files from
the same folder using office, file open, and it worked. It seemed to be more
of a problem when opening files using Windows explorer to open files. But
now the problems have returned even when the links were done using Office,
file, open.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi, !

could you comment what the (exact) occassions are when this happens ?
AFAIK ...\AppData\... is a system reserved (and hidden) location
where you DO NOT need/have/want/... to put data in there (a few and specific situations excluded)

perhaps the users are opening (individual) files directly from an e-mail message ?
(instead or saving first the whole set of files in a specific location on his HD ?)

hth,
hector.

__ OP __