Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Finding first and last issuance of a part # by date and time

Accounting is giving me a Excel spreadsheet file of the issuance of part #'s.
But the file is so big I can not get the data I am looking for out of it.

I can filter the worksheet and get a listing of all the different part #'s
but there is more than 10 thousand of them.

I need a way to sort or filter the part numbers out that would also include
all the row data that is attached to the part #'s.

Example:
A B C D
E F
1- Date - Time - Part# - Secondary# - Text - Text
2- 5/20/09 - 3:45 PM - 1234567890 - 1234567890 - comment - comment
3- 5/18/09 - 1:25 AM - 1234567890 - 1234567890 - comment - comment
4- 5/17/09 - 1:05 AM - 1234567890 - 1234567890 - comment - comment

I need to pull the first and last occurance of each part # by date and time.

For me this is a monster file, +250K of rows that contain the above info.

Is this possible?

HELP would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Mark
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This can be achieved with macro code and copy the output to another
worksheet. Do you want code to do it? If so then need to confirm a couple of
things.

Does the Part# and Secondary# apply to determine the first and last part
against the dates or just the Part#?
Are the dates and times formatted as dates and times in your workbook and
not as text. If still text, can you convert to real dates and times.
Do you need instructions on how to install and run a macro if I provide the
code? If so.

OssieMac

"Premachine" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OssieMac,

Output to a second worksheet would be GREAT.

Yes, I would like code - or help to write and understand the code to do this.

At the "moment" I am needing just the part# info pulled.

Yes, the time and date are correctly formatted.

Help with installing and running the macro would be helpful as I have never
had to do this before, I am not a number cruncher, but I have got it dumped
on me.

Oh, and we use Office 2003, if that makes a diff.

ANY help would be great!

Thanks,
Mark