Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculating a value but omitting cells with empty data

I want to calculate a value based on several cells in say row 4. However, I
do not want to include values in any columns that do not also have a
non-missing value in, say, row3. Thus my calculated cell in, say column A,
should have some syntax like:

IF A3 < MISSING THEN
< do calculation of value

I hope this is clear.

What is the proper syntax for the pseudocode that I have above?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel

Depends on what your calculation is. Are you summing, counting, multiply,
etc.?Each has their own formula structure.

For instance, the basic summing one is
=SUMIF(3:3,"<"&"",4:4)
Sums every value in row 4 that doesn't have a corresponding blank cell in
row 3.
Similary, counting is
=COUNTIF(3:3,"<"&"",4:4)

You could also look at other ways of using IF functions to limit data sets.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Andrew Chalk" wrote:

I want to calculate a value based on several cells in say row 4. However, I
do not want to include values in any columns that do not also have a
non-missing value in, say, row3. Thus my calculated cell in, say column A,
should have some syntax like:

IF A3 < MISSING THEN
< do calculation of value

I hope this is clear.

What is the proper syntax for the pseudocode that I have above?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel

It is actually a cell calculation. An example is:

=(G13-G12)/G12

If G12 is not zero I want the above calculation to be done.

If it is zero I want to not do the above calculation, but the value zero to
be used instead

Thanks.

"Andrew Chalk" wrote:

I want to calculate a value based on several cells in say row 4. However,
do not want to include values in any columns that do not also have a
non-missing value in, say, row3. Thus my calculated cell in, say column
A,
should have some syntax like:

IF A3 < MISSING THEN
< do calculation of value

I hope this is clear.

What is the proper syntax for the pseudocode that I have above?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel

"Andrew Chalk" wrote...
It is actually a cell calculation. An example is:

=(G13-G12)/G12

If G12 is not zero I want the above calculation to be done.

If it is zero I want to not do the above calculation, but the value zero to
be used instead

=IF(COUNT(1/G12),G13/G12-1,0)