Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How keep Excel from counting empty cells when calculating formula

I have plotted out a worksheet, but the problem is that it is trying to
calculate empty cells as having a value of zero. This means that whenever it
is a divide function, it shows up as an error. I need it to count empty
cells as having no value, or to just ignore them, so that it does not affect
related formulas. Any help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Post your formula, then we can comment on it directly.

Pete

On Nov 8, 10:30 pm, Excel Noob <Excel
wrote:
I have plotted out a worksheet, but the problem is that it is trying to
calculate empty cells as having a value of zero. This means that whenever it
is a divide function, it shows up as an error. I need it to count empty
cells as having no value, or to just ignore them, so that it does not affect
related formulas. Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If your formula is =A1/B1, try =IF(B1="","",A1/B1) or
=IF(OR(A1="",B1=""),"",A1/B1)
--
David Biddulph

oups.com...

wrote:
I have plotted out a worksheet, but the problem is that it is trying to
calculate empty cells as having a value of zero. This means that
whenever it
is a divide function, it shows up as an error. I need it to count empty
cells as having no value, or to just ignore them, so that it does not
affect
related formulas. Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How keep Excel from counting empty cells when calculating form

=PRODUCT(J2,100/G2)

I'm doing a percentage formula. It works when the denominator is present,
and I even tried it without the 100 factor but that didn't work either. I
suppose another option would be if I would get Excel to tell me that J2 is x
percent of G2. Don't know how to do that either. :-)

wrote:
I have plotted out a worksheet, but the problem is that it is trying to
calculate empty cells as having a value of zero. This means that whenever it
is a divide function, it shows up as an error. I need it to count empty
cells as having no value, or to just ignore them, so that it does not affect
related formulas. Any help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you try to divide by G2 and G2=0 then you will get the #DIV/0
error, so this is the condition you need to trap - you can do it like
this:

=IF(OR(G2=0,G2=""),"",PRODUCT(J2,100/G2))

This will show a blank cell if G2 is zero, or blank. If you would
prefer your cell to show zero, then change the second "" to 0.

Hope this helps.

Pete

wrote:
I have plotted out a worksheet, but the problem is that it is trying to
calculate empty cells as having a value of zero. This means that whenever it
is a divide function, it shows up as an error. I need it to count empty
cells as having no value, or to just ignore them, so that it does not affect
related formulas. Any help?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome.

Pete