Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sharing a workbook

I need to share a document on a central server so several users can update at
the same time. I've used spreadsheets before where when the document is
saved it'll show my changes and their changes highlighted in another colour.
And if you both add a new entry onto the same line it will allow both entries
one after the other, rather than just allowing one entry to be saved. I've
tried using the 'share workbook' function but I can't seem to get it to work.
Does anyone know how? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Sean, I've already had a go with track changes. I've currently got it
set up in 'track changes' as 'highlight changes', 'track changes while
editing'. 'when' is ticked and I've selected 'since I last saved' with the
other options blank. Finally, 'highlight changes on screen' is ticked.

The problem I've got is when the team adds an entry to the same line it's
over-writing the details with the person who last saved, rather than
accepting both entries, and moving one to the row below.

"Kerry" wrote:

I need to share a document on a central server so several users can update at
the same time. I've used spreadsheets before where when the document is
saved it'll show my changes and their changes highlighted in another colour.
And if you both add a new entry onto the same line it will allow both entries
one after the other, rather than just allowing one entry to be saved. I've
tried using the 'share workbook' function but I can't seem to get it to work.
Does anyone know how? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you have 2 people updating the same cell, the 2nd person to hit save is
asked to accept theri changes, other person's changes, or cancel. Don't
think anything will cause your changes to move to another row. Track changes
merely shows who made each change.

You can also use Share Workbook and the Advanced tab. Make sure you have it
set to Ask which changes win. May also want it to update changes every few
minutes.