Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default devide by 1000

How do I format a number cell so when I enter any value in it, it shows the
input value dvided by 1000? For instance if I enter 4565 the cell should show
4.565. Thanks in advance for help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Format cell, Custom format (on the number tab)

#"."###

OR

0"."###

if you always want a number in front of the decimal.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Atiq" wrote:

How do I format a number cell so when I enter any value in it, it shows the
input value dvided by 1000? For instance if I enter 4565 the cell should show
4.565. Thanks in advance for help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

NOte that is still contains the value of 4565, even if it displays something
looking like something else. If you need the real value to really be divided
by 1000 then set "fixed decimals" to 3 in menu tools-options or Excel
options (version dependent where it is).

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Atiq" wrote in message
How do I format a number cell so when I enter any value in it, it shows
the
input value dvided by 1000? For instance if I enter 4565 the cell should
show
4.565. Thanks in advance for help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you just want the number to "look like" 4.565 you can custom format as
Luke points out.

If you want it to actually be 4.565 then you must divide it by 1000 manually
or using VBA event code or set your Fixed Decimals to 3 so 4565 is actually
entered as 4.565

Note: setting FD to 3 is a sheet function and will affect all numbers
entered in any cell.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:14:01 -0700, Atiq
wrote:

How do I format a number cell so when I enter any value in it, it shows the
input value dvided by 1000? For instance if I enter 4565 the cell should show
4.565. Thanks in advance for help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Will you ever have numbers in the cells with less than 3 digits making up
their number (for example, 45)? If so, then you probably don't want to use
Luke's custom format as it will return 0.45 and not 0.045 (which is what I
suspect you would want. There is an alternate format to Luke's that will
handle all numbers correctly. Either this...

#.###,

or

0.###,

--