Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default convert number into a decimal

Hello I have a spreadsheet in column b there is a number when I try
to format the number to a percentange I get the wrong answer. example
column B has a 5 the answer should be 5% . but when I format the cell for
decimal I get 500.00% how do I correct this thanks column is formatted
as general
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel is correct.

If you want to have 5%, then you should enter .05 (5 out of 100).

If you have lots to fix, you can use this technique:

Put 100 in an empty cell
Edit|copy that cell

Select the range to fix
Edit|paste special
check values and divide
Format that range as a percentage

And delete the 100 from that helper cell.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

1 is 100% so if you format 5 as a percentage you will get 500%. you would
need to divide by 100 to make 5 = 5%

Mike

"Wanna Learn" wrote:

Hello I have a spreadsheet in column b there is a number when I try
to format the number to a percentange I get the wrong answer. example
column B has a 5 the answer should be 5% . but when I format the cell for
decimal I get 500.00% how do I correct this thanks column is formatted
as general

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
a percentage is a decimal value of a whole number. so 5 would be 500.00%.
..05 would be 5.00%
not sure how you derived the number 5 but maybe you could do some math...
=5/100 or something like that.

regards
FSt1