Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel and Vista

I am trying to protect formulas in an Excel spreadsheet but my tool bars in
Vista are different. Can someone help me to protect formulas so they can't
be changed.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Vista is an Operating System. It really has no impact on what Excel looks
like. Perhaps you mean you've got Office 2007 and it's the Ribbon that looks
different from the toolbars you're used to in older versions of Office?

Regardless of what Op Sys you're using, you still protect sheets the same
way in Excel:

In Excel 2007:
Click on the "Review" Tab in the Ribbon
On the "Chages" section, you'll see "Protect Sheet"

In Excel 2003 or earlier:
Go to the TOOLS Menu
Select "Protection" then "Protect Sheet"

HTH
Elkar

"Cheri" wrote:

I am trying to protect formulas in an Excel spreadsheet but my tool bars in
Vista are different. Can someone help me to protect formulas so they can't
be changed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Make sure the cells are locked before protecting the worksheet.

Right-Click the cell
Select "Format Cells"
Select the "Protection" Tab
Check the "Locked" checkbox
Click OK

HTH
Elkar

"Cheri" wrote:

I am trying to protect formulas in an Excel spreadsheet but my tool bars in
Vista are different. Can someone help me to protect formulas so they can't
be changed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That shouldn't happen. If the cell is locked and the worksheet is protected,
then it should be impossible to delete the formula.

The only thing I can think of is that you're applying protection to the
workbook rather than the worksheet. Protecting the workbook will not prevent
formulas from being deleted. Each worksheet must be protected individually.

"Cheri" wrote:

I am trying to protect formulas in an Excel spreadsheet but my tool bars in
Vista are different. Can someone help me to protect formulas so they can't
be changed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you - I've gotten that all straightened out but is there a way just to
protect certain cells and not the whole sheet? When I do it correctly, then
I am unable to enter data in the cells I need to.

"Cheri" wrote:

I am trying to protect formulas in an Excel spreadsheet but my tool bars in
Vista are different. Can someone help me to protect formulas so they can't
be changed.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Protection must be applied to the whole sheet in order for it to work. If
you want to still be able to edit certain cells, just make sure they are not
locked before protecting the sheet.

Right-Click Cell
Properties
Protection Tab