Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default A formula to identify tab names in a worksheet

Not sure if this can be done or not, but I will pose this question:

If I am in tab1 of a workbook and want identify the name of tab3 in the same
workbook, is there a formula that does that?

here is what I am after:
=MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,99) gives me the
name of the tab when I am actively in that tab, but is there way that would
give me the name of tab3 when I am still in tab1?

Let me know if this makes sense?

Thanks

--
Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Point at a cell in that sheet:

=MID(CELL("filename",'sheet3'!A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",'sheet3'!A1))+1,99)

Excel will adjust the formula if you change the sheet name after you've created
the formula.

Steve wrote:

Not sure if this can be done or not, but I will pose this question:

If I am in tab1 of a workbook and want identify the name of tab3 in the same
workbook, is there a formula that does that?

here is what I am after:
=MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,99) gives me the
name of the tab when I am actively in that tab, but is there way that would
give me the name of tab3 when I am still in tab1?

Let me know if this makes sense?

Thanks

--
Steve

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

Create this named formula:

Goto the menu InsertNameDefine
Name: SheetNames
Refers to:

=GET.WORKBOOK(1)&T(NOW())

OK

Then use this formula to get the sheet name:

=INDEX(MID(SheetNames,FIND("]",SheetNames)+1,255),n)

Where n = the number of the sheet you want:

=INDEX(MID(SheetNames,FIND("]",SheetNames)+1,255),3)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Steve" wrote in message
Not sure if this can be done or not, but I will pose this question:

If I am in tab1 of a workbook and want identify the name of tab3 in the
same
workbook, is there a formula that does that?

here is what I am after:
=MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,99) gives me the
name of the tab when I am actively in that tab, but is there way that
would
give me the name of tab3 when I am still in tab1?

Let me know if this makes sense?

Thanks

--
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This might be a dumb question and I'm missing something, but...

Point at a cell in that sheet:
=MID(CELL("filename",'sheet3'!A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",'sheet3'!A1))+1,99)

If you're going to have to enter the sheet name that you want in the formula
why not just cut out the middleman and enter the sheet name directly in the
cell?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP