Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sorting columns

Hi,

I have about 26 columns and every column has about 50 rows with similar
values (#'s). I want to sort the columns out in groups so i know which ones
have the most similar values.

Everytime i sort them out the column's values mix up and i no longer know
which value belongs to which column.

I tried to give every column a diferent color and then sort out the every
row at a time from smallest to largest. I'm sure there is a much easier way
to sort out the the entire columns with out mixing up the values that each
one has.

Help?!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select Col A:Z (That's 26, isn't it?), and then sort by the column of your
choice.
Otherwise you will mix everything up. this way, if you decide to sort by
say Col W, that will happen, but each row wil remain related.

--
HTH

Kassie

Replace xxx with hotmail

"Joyce" wrote:

Hi,

I have about 26 columns and every column has about 50 rows with similar
values (#'s). I want to sort the columns out in groups so i know which ones
have the most similar values.

Everytime i sort them out the column's values mix up and i no longer know
which value belongs to which column.

I tried to give every column a diferent color and then sort out the every
row at a time from smallest to largest. I'm sure there is a much easier way
to sort out the the entire columns with out mixing up the values that each
one has.

Help?!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Kassie,

Thanx for your reply.

I tried to select col A:Z and then click on the sort dialog box:

choice)
top to bottom ( gives me "Columns")

Going with either one...i end up with all my columns' rows mixed up....

May be i didn't understand what u ment...

--
Joyce @ fMX

"Joyce" wrote:

Hi,

I have about 26 columns and every column has about 50 rows with similar
values (#'s). I want to sort the columns out in groups so i know which ones
have the most similar values.

Everytime i sort them out the column's values mix up and i no longer know
which value belongs to which column.

I tried to give every column a diferent color and then sort out the every
row at a time from smallest to largest. I'm sure there is a much easier way
to sort out the the entire columns with out mixing up the values that each
one has.

Help?!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When I said COL A:Z, and yes, that is not what i said, I meant the data in
these columns. To rephrase. If you need to select A1:Z100, for example,
then do that. Then click on Data, Sort, select the col you want to sort by
from the dropdown box, and OK out. I am qwfully sorry for this misguidance!

--
HTH

Kassie

Replace xxx with hotmail

"Joyce" wrote:

Hi,

I have about 26 columns and every column has about 50 rows with similar
values (#'s). I want to sort the columns out in groups so i know which ones
have the most similar values.

Everytime i sort them out the column's values mix up and i no longer know
which value belongs to which column.

I tried to give every column a diferent color and then sort out the every
row at a time from smallest to largest. I'm sure there is a much easier way
to sort out the the entire columns with out mixing up the values that each
one has.

Help?!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Kassie,
Maybe Joyce is actually trying to sort the columns not the rows?
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes. That's what i'm trying to do. This is what i have:

A B C D E F G
20 20 20 20 20 20 20
25 20 20 20 20 20 20
12 12 12 12 12 12 12
12 12 12 12 12 12 10
12 15 13 15 15 15 15
20 20 20 20 20 20 20
13 12 12 12 12 12 15
5 5 4 4 4 4 5
20 20 15 20 20 20 15
13 13 13 13 13 13 13
14 14 12 14 14 14 14
24 20 20 20 20 20 20
15 15 15 15 15 15 15
17 15 15 15 15 15 15
13 13 14 14 14 14 15
20 20 20 20 20 20 20

* That's just a small part (they go up to 26 columns & may be 70 rows) *

As you can see, every column has similar values on their rows. I want to
sort the columns without alterting the individual rows. In other words, when
i sort them out i don't want to end up with A2 in D7. If that happends I
wouldnt know what is what.

Whenever i try to sort them out i end up with something like:

A B C D E F G
3 3 2 2 2 2 2
3 3 2 2 3 2 2
3 3 3 3 3 3 3
4 4 3 4 4 4 3
4 8 5 4 4 5 4
4 4 3 4 3 4 3
5 5 4 4 4 4 5
6 10 5 6 6 6 6
6 6 6 6 6 6 7
6 6 6 6 6 6 7

That i dont' want. It's sorting from smallest to largest but for every
individual column.

Am I explaning myself?

--
Joyce @ fMX

"Jim Cone" wrote:

Kassie,
Maybe Joyce is actually trying to sort the columns not the rows?
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Insert two blank rows directly above the data.
In the first row enter consecutive numbers in each cell 1 thru 26.
In the second row enter a number in each cell that corresponds
with the "new" position for the column.
Select all 26 columns.
In the "Sort" dialog box, click the "Options" button and check
'Sort left to right' and click ok.
The dialog box then allows you to specify the row to sort by (new positions row).
(the consecutive numbers in the first row allows you to return to the
original column order when desired)
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Jim Cone" wrote:

Kassie,
Maybe Joyce is actually trying to sort the columns not the rows?
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm sorry Jim,

I did as you said.
Inserted 2 blank rows. Numbered the 1st one 1-26 and gave the second row
"new" positions"

When i go to the Sort Dialog Box, click "Sort left to right" (after
sellecting all 26 columns) and then ok it...but everything seems to stay the
same. I don't see any change. The columns stay from 1-26.

--
Joyce @ fMX

"Jim Cone" wrote:

Kassie,
Maybe Joyce is actually trying to sort the columns not the rows?
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In the dialog box, did you select the row with the new positions?
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Joyce"

wrote in message
I'm sorry Jim,
I did as you said.
Inserted 2 blank rows. Numbered the 1st one 1-26 and gave the second row
"new" positions"

When i go to the Sort Dialog Box, click "Sort left to right" (after
sellecting all 26 columns) and then ok it...but everything seems to stay the
same. I don't see any change. The columns stay from 1-26.
--
Joyce @ fMX

"Jim Cone" wrote:
-snip-
" button and check
'Sort left to right' and click ok.
The dialog box then allows you to specify the row to sort by (new positions row). '<<<<

-snip-
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I did.

It seems like i finally got it right! Thank you both, Kassie and Jim, for
your help!! :)
--
Joyce @ fMX