Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default reduce excel file size by deleting blank rows and columns??

Hi,

I have a 34MB excel file. How can I reduce the size of it? I have
blank rows from row 110-65536 and blank columns from col V-IV which I
want to delete. I tried selecting the last row, then CTRL+SHIFT
+DOWNARROW followed by DEL but it doesn't seem to work since the
scroll bar at the right is still tiny which means that there are
endless rows below. Why can't I simply delete them? Do I need a
retinal scan from the president??

Thanks in advance for your help
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: reduce excel file size by deleting blank rows and columns??

Reducing the size of your Excel file by deleting blank rows and columns is a great way to optimize your file and make it more manageable. Here's how you can do it:
  1. First, make a backup copy of your original file in case anything goes wrong.
  2. Open your Excel file and go to the worksheet that you want to clean up.
  3. To delete blank rows, click on the row number of the first blank row that you want to delete. For example, if your blank rows start at row 110, click on the number "110" on the left-hand side of the worksheet.
  4. Hold down the Shift key and click on the row number of the last blank row that you want to delete. For example, if your last blank row is row 65536, click on the number "65536" while holding down the Shift key.
  5. Right-click on one of the selected row numbers and choose "Delete" from the context menu.
  6. In the Delete dialog box, choose "Entire row" and click OK.
  7. To delete blank columns, click on the column letter of the first blank column that you want to delete. For example, if your blank columns start at column V, click on the letter "V" at the top of the worksheet.
  8. Hold down the Shift key and click on the column letter of the last blank column that you want to delete. For example, if your last blank column is column IV, click on the letter "IV" while holding down the Shift key.
  9. Right-click on one of the selected column letters and choose "Delete" from the context menu.
  10. In the Delete dialog box, choose "Entire column" and click OK.
  11. Save your file and check the file size to see if it has been reduced.

If you're still having trouble deleting the blank rows and columns, it's possible that there are hidden rows or columns that you need to unhide first. You can do this by selecting the entire worksheet (click on the box at the top left of the worksheet where the row numbers and column letters meet) and then going to the Home tab and clicking on the Format dropdown. From there, choose "Hide & Unhide" and then "Unhide Rows" or "Unhide Columns" as needed.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you do that, instead of hitting the delete key, right click on any of
those rows and use that Delete function. Same thing with the columns, select
V and shift-control-right then right-click the V and use that Delete function.
--
Please remember to indicate when the post is answered so others can benefit
from it later.

"Delta007bhd" wrote:

Hi,

I have a 34MB excel file. How can I reduce the size of it? I have
blank rows from row 110-65536 and blank columns from col V-IV which I
want to delete. I tried selecting the last row, then CTRL+SHIFT
+DOWNARROW followed by DEL but it doesn't seem to work since the
scroll bar at the right is still tiny which means that there are
endless rows below. Why can't I simply delete them? Do I need a
retinal scan from the president??

Thanks in advance for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Apr 10, 8:11*pm, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
After the delete, you'll need to save, then close & reopen the spreadsheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi,
i have a similar problem and realized that i do have blank rows.
i select all the blank rows, right-click, but, the Delete function is
disabled (greyed out).
any idea, why?
P.S: this file was originally created in 2003 and was later convered to 2007.

wrote:
After the delete, you'll need to save, then close & reopen the spreadsheet.
--
David Biddulph

Wow, you really need to be a very close friend of Bill Gates to know
this. Thanks for helping me out of my misery David, I appreciate it;)