jacob

Default Can you freeze a result in a cell?

Here's the dilemma:

I have a list validation in H7. You can choose from 6 different text
values.
Below, in H8, I would like to respond "true" (or yes) if a certain 1 of
the 6 text values is EVER selected, and then not be changed by anyone
else.

For instance, if the "flagged" value is "blue", and a user ever selects
blue from the drop-down list in H7, can I create an argument that
populates H8 with "True"? And keep it as true forever, even if you go
and change H7 to another value.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks sirs and madams!

Jacob

Biff

Hi!

You *COULD* do this using an intentional circular reference but you should
wait until someone posts a VBA solution which would be the best way to go.

Biff

"jacob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's the dilemma:

I have a list validation in H7. You can choose from 6 different text
values.
Below, in H8, I would like to respond "true" (or yes) if a certain 1 of
the 6 text values is EVER selected, and then not be changed by anyone
else.

For instance, if the "flagged" value is "blue", and a user ever selects
blue from the drop-down list in H7, can I create an argument that
populates H8 with "True"? And keep it as true forever, even if you go
and change H7 to another value.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks sirs and madams!

Jacob

Biff

Well, I see no other replies, so:

Goto ToolsOptionsCalculation tab.
Check Iteration

In two out of the way cells, say AA1 and AB1 enter these formulas:

AB1 =--(H7="blue")
AA1 =MAX(AA1,AB1)

Now, in H8 enter this formula:

=IF(AA1=1,TRUE,"")

If "blue" is ever selected from the drop down, H8 will return TRUE and NEVER
change!

Biff

"jacob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's the dilemma:

I have a list validation in H7. You can choose from 6 different text
values.
Below, in H8, I would like to respond "true" (or yes) if a certain 1 of
the 6 text values is EVER selected, and then not be changed by anyone
else.

For instance, if the "flagged" value is "blue", and a user ever selects
blue from the drop-down list in H7, can I create an argument that
populates H8 with "True"? And keep it as true forever, even if you go
and change H7 to another value.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks sirs and madams!

Jacob

jacob

That is a neat trick! And it solves my quandry.

However, I fear (as you hinted at earlier) it may only be a temporary
fix. If I send this excel document (containing the below loop) will
other users have to check the iteration box under Options for it to
display/work correctly? If so, you're right, I will need a VBA.

Jacob

"jacob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's the dilemma:

I have a list validation in H7. You can choose from 6 different

text
values.
Below, in H8, I would like to respond "true" (or yes) if a certain

1 of
the 6 text values is EVER selected, and then not be changed by

anyone
else.

For instance, if the "flagged" value is "blue", and a user ever

selects
blue from the drop-down list in H7, can I create an argument that
populates H8 with "True"? And keep it as true forever, even if you

go
and change H7 to another value.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks sirs and madams!

Jacob

Biff

Hi!

That setting stays with the file.

I'm surprised that nobody has chimed in with a "proper" solution. You should
repost this in the Programming forum for the best solution.

Biff

oups.com...