bacai

Default comma align numbers

I am running Excel 2002 on XP.

I have a wide column and all the numbers in the column are six or less
digits. I would like to center the numbers and have them comma align. How
would this be accomplished?

All help appreciated

Duke Carey

You cannot 'center' them and have the commas align. You can, however, use
custom formats to make them right aligned yet mostly in the center of the
column.

Select the range of cells you want to 'center' and then choose
FormatCellsNumber
In the left hand panel select Custom, then use this text in the Type line:

#,##0;-#,##0

Now choose the Alignment tab and set the Horizontal to 'Right (Indent)' Now
adjust the Indent level to 3 or 4 and click on OK

If the numbers are too far left, reduce the indent level a little. If they
aren't far enough left, raise it a little

"bacai" wrote:

I am running Excel 2002 on XP.

I have a wide column and all the numbers in the column are six or less
digits. I would like to center the numbers and have them comma align. How
would this be accomplished?

All help appreciated

Bernie Deitrick

bacai,

From help:

? adds spaces for insignificant zeros on either side of the decimal point so
that decimal points align when formatted with a fixed-width font, such as
Courier New.

To display Use
this code
44.398, 102.65, and 2.8 with aligned decimals ???.???

I'm guessing that commas can be aligned in a similar manner.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"bacai" wrote in message
I am running Excel 2002 on XP.

I have a wide column and all the numbers in the column are six or less
digits. I would like to center the numbers and have them comma align. How
would this be accomplished?

All help appreciated

Dave Peterson

And it works with non-proportional fonts, too.

To the OP, maybe using Bernie's idea...Something like:
?,???.???
would work ok for you.

Bernie Deitrick wrote:

bacai,