Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Adding a file to xlstart folder.

How do I add a file to the xlstart folder? I am using Excel 2007 and Windows
Vista. I am logged in as the administrator, but when I try to save the file
to the xlstart folder, I receive a "You don't have the permission to save in
this location" message. I'm trying to save the file as Book1, but Book1.xlsx
appears in the Save As box. Since the folder indicates that it's empty, I
don't know where my start up file is located.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel's Book1 is just the default new workbook.

It is not in any folder. It is built into Excel application.

Why do you want a Book1 in your XLSTART folder?

Do you want to customize the default New Workbook?

Save a customized workbook as Template BOOK.xltx and store in your XLSTART
folder

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Why you have no permission to save there is a function of Windows Vista, not
Excel.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:17:01 -0700, Tenacious
wrote:

How do I add a file to the xlstart folder? I am using Excel 2007 and Windows
Vista. I am logged in as the administrator, but when I try to save the file
to the xlstart folder, I receive a "You don't have the permission to save in
this location" message. I'm trying to save the file as Book1, but Book1.xlsx
appears in the Save As box. Since the folder indicates that it's empty, I
don't know where my start up file is located.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for your quick response. I was trying to find the XLSTART folder
by using the drop-down menus and going through Programs. When I actually
typed-in the path that you recommended, it worked. This works fine when I
open Excel, however, when I open an existing Excel file (such as one that's
on my desktop), I get that file plus Book 1. Is there a way to open a file
without getting Book 1 also?
Thanks again,
Tenacious

wrote:

How do I add a file to the xlstart folder? I am using Excel 2007 and Windows
Vista. I am logged in as the administrator, but when I try to save the file
to the xlstart folder, I receive a "You don't have the permission to save in
this location" message. I'm trying to save the file as Book1, but Book1.xlsx
appears in the Save As box. Since the folder indicates that it's empty, I
don't know where my start up file is located.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Append a /e to your Excel startup command to prevent Book1 from opening.

Go to StartSettingsControl PanelFolder OptionsFile Types

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced"OpenEdit.

In Command line the path should be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICExx\EXCEL.EXE" /e

You must have the double quotes and the <space/e prevents a new blank book
from opening.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Gord