Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default XLStart folder,read only

I'm trying to apply a global change in my Excel files so I thought to create
a book.xlt and save in C:\program files\microsoft office\office 11\XLstart
but I canb't save the file nbecaus eit's read only and even when I unchecl
the read only it comes back as read only again . any thoughts?
--
Best regards,
Edward
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, any change you make to your book.xlt file will only affect the workbooks
that are created using that changed template.

It won't be global in the sense that it will change existing workbooks that were
based on an earlier version of that template.

Second, the location of this XLStart folder for me is:
C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

I can get to that location quickly by:
Windows start button|Run
type:
%appdata%
and drilling down through Microsoft, then excel, then XLStart

I don't have a good guess why your file is marked readonly. But I would delete
any book.xlt file in that location (using windows explorer).

Edward wrote:

I'm trying to apply a global change in my Excel files so I thought to create
a book.xlt and save in C:\program files\microsoft office\office 11\XLstart
but I canb't save the file nbecaus eit's read only and even when I unchecl
the read only it comes back as read only again . any thoughts?
--
Best regards,
Edward

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think the XLStart in the Roaming path comes with Vista. I don't see it in
WinXP.

I don't have a guess why MS set things up like that.

I do know that you can have more than two locations. Depending on your upgrade
path of excel, you may be able to find more.

Edward wrote:

I didn't know there are two XLstart folder! one is in
username\appdata\roaming\microsoft\excel\XLstart
which was empty ( I guess this is by default ) and I 'm able to copy a file
into that folder and second one is in
C:\programm files\microsoftoffice\office11\xlStart
which is read only and dosn't allow me to change the read only property and
save any file into it!
DO you know why we have two XLstart?
--
Best regards,