Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default XLStart folder,read only

First, any change you make to your book.xlt file will only affect the workbooks
that are created using that changed template.

It won't be global in the sense that it will change existing workbooks that were
based on an earlier version of that template.

Second, the location of this XLStart folder for me is:
C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

I can get to that location quickly by:
Windows start button|Run
type:
%appdata%
and drilling down through Microsoft, then excel, then XLStart

I don't have a good guess why your file is marked readonly. But I would delete
any book.xlt file in that location (using windows explorer).

Edward wrote:

I'm trying to apply a global change in my Excel files so I thought to create
a book.xlt and save in C:\program files\microsoft office\office 11\XLstart
but I canb't save the file nbecaus eit's read only and even when I unchecl
the read only it comes back as read only again . any thoughts?
--
Best regards,
Edward

--