Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2002: How to fill group of of odd number in sequence ?

Hi,

May I know how to fill up group of odd numbers in sequence in Column B , C
and D ?

Illustration:

A B C D
1 xxx 1 1 1
2 xxx 1 1 1
3 xxx 3 1 1
4 xxx 3 3 1
5 xxx 5 3 3
6 xxx 5 3 3
7 xxx 7 5 3
8 xxx 7 5 3
9 xxx 9 5 5

What formula I must input at cell B1, C1 and D1 before copy downwards to get
the numbers ?

Thanks

Low

--
A36B58K641
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In B1 and B2 enter 1
In B3 enter:
=IF(B2=B1,B2+2,B2) and copy down

In C1 and C2 and C3 enter 1
in C4 enter:
=IF(MIN(C1:C3)=MAX(C1:C3),C3+2,C3) and copy down

Use the column C approach to fill column D.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200841

"Mr. Low" wrote:

Hi,

May I know how to fill up group of odd numbers in sequence in Column B , C
and D ?

Illustration:

A B C D
1 xxx 1 1 1
2 xxx 1 1 1
3 xxx 3 1 1
4 xxx 3 3 1
5 xxx 5 3 3
6 xxx 5 3 3
7 xxx 7 5 3
8 xxx 7 5 3
9 xxx 9 5 5

What formula I must input at cell B1, C1 and D1 before copy downwards to get
the numbers ?

Thanks

Low

--
A36B58K641

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have a similar solution to Gary's but a little simplier

enter 1 in B1:B2
B3 put formula =B1+2
B4 put formula =B2+2

Then select B3 and B4 and copy down

enter 1 in C1:C3
C4 put formula =C1+2
C5 put formula =C2+2
C6 put formula =C3+2

Then select C3:C6 and copy down

enter 1 in D1:D4
D5 put formula =D1+2
D6 put formula =D2+2
D7 put formula =D3+2
D8 put formula =D4+2

Then select D4:D8 and copy down

"Mr. Low" wrote:

Hi,

May I know how to fill up group of odd numbers in sequence in Column B , C
and D ?

Illustration:

A B C D
1 xxx 1 1 1
2 xxx 1 1 1
3 xxx 3 1 1
4 xxx 3 3 1
5 xxx 5 3 3
6 xxx 5 3 3
7 xxx 7 5 3
8 xxx 7 5 3
9 xxx 9 5 5

What formula I must input at cell B1, C1 and D1 before copy downwards to get
the numbers ?

Thanks

Low

--
A36B58K641

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You cannot use formulae in row 1, so fill B1:D1 with 1's
In B2 enter =IF(COUNTIF($B$1:B1,B1)1,B1+2,B1)
In C2 enter =IF(COUNTIF($C$1:C1,C1)2,C1+2,C1)
In D2 enter =IF(COUNTIF($D$1:D1,D1)3,D1+2,D1)

--

HTH

Kassie

Replace xxx with hotmail

"Mr. Low" wrote:

Hi,

May I know how to fill up group of odd numbers in sequence in Column B , C
and D ?

Illustration:

A B C D
1 xxx 1 1 1
2 xxx 1 1 1
3 xxx 3 1 1
4 xxx 3 3 1
5 xxx 5 3 3
6 xxx 5 3 3
7 xxx 7 5 3
8 xxx 7 5 3
9 xxx 9 5 5

What formula I must input at cell B1, C1 and D1 before copy downwards to get
the numbers ?

Thanks

Low

--
A36B58K641

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Low,

Enter 1s in B1:D1, then use one formula, entered in B2:

=IF(COUNTIF(B$1:B1,B1)=COLUMN(),B1+2,B1)

and copy across and down.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Mr. Low" wrote in message

May I know how to fill up group of odd numbers in sequence in Column B , C
and D ?

Illustration:

A B C D
1 xxx 1 1 1
2 xxx 1 1 1
3 xxx 3 1 1
4 xxx 3 3 1
5 xxx 5 3 3
6 xxx 5 3 3
7 xxx 7 5 3
8 xxx 7 5 3
9 xxx 9 5 5

What formula I must input at cell B1, C1 and D1 before copy downwards to
get
the numbers ?

Thanks

Low

--
A36B58K641

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Mr. Low" wrote:

Hi,

May I know how to fill up group of odd numbers in sequence
in Column B , C and D ?

Illustration:

A B C D
1 xxx 1 1 1
2 xxx 1 1 1
3 xxx 3 1 1
4 xxx 3 3 1
5 xxx 5 3 3
6 xxx 5 3 3
7 xxx 7 5 3
8 xxx 7 5 3
9 xxx 9 5 5

What formula I must input at cell B1, C1 and D1 before copy
downwards to get the numbers ?

Am I being dumb? If you put 1, 3, 5 in B1, B2 and B3 and pull down you
will get 1, 3, 5, 7 etc. It's not much effort to do it for the other
columns.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

James wrote to Kassie on Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:17:39 -0400:

You cannot use formulae in row 1, so fill B1:D1 with 1's
In B2 enter =IF(COUNTIF($B$1:B1,B1)1,B1+2,B1)
In C2 enter =IF(COUNTIF($C$1:C1,C1)2,C1+2,C1)
In D2 enter =IF(COUNTIF($D$1:D1,D1)3,D1+2,D1)

:D8 and copy down

"Mr. Low" wrote:

Hi,

May I know how to fill up group of odd numbers in sequence
in Column B , C and D ?

Illustration:

A B C D
1 xxx 1 1 1
2 xxx 1 1 1
3 xxx 3 1 1
4 xxx 3 3 1
5 xxx 5 3 3
6 xxx 5 3 3
7 xxx 7 5 3
8 xxx 7 5 3
9 xxx 9 5 5

What formula I must input at cell B1, C1 and D1 before
copy downwards to get the numbers ?

Am I being dumb? If you put 1, 3, 5 in B1, B2 and B3 and pull
down you will get 1, 3, 5, 7 etc. It's not much effort to do
it for the other columns.

Yes, I was being dumb since the exact squence was wanted!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

M24
M25
M26
M27
M28
M29
M30
M31
M32
M33
M34
M35
M36
M37
M38
M39
M40
M41
M42
M43
M44
M45
M46
M47
M48

--
A36B58K641

"Mr. Low" wrote:

Hi,

May I know how to fill up group of odd numbers in sequence in Column B , C
and D ?

Illustration:

A B C D
1 xxx 1 1 1
2 xxx 1 1 1
3 xxx 3 1 1
4 xxx 3 3 1
5 xxx 5 3 3
6 xxx 5 3 3
7 xxx 7 5 3
8 xxx 7 5 3
9 xxx 9 5 5

What formula I must input at cell B1, C1 and D1 before copy downwards to get
the numbers ?

Thanks

Low

--
A36B58K641

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Kassie,

Thanks, your formula works.

Best Regards

Low
--
A36B58K641

"Mr. Low" wrote:

Hi,

May I know how to fill up group of odd numbers in sequence in Column B , C
and D ?

Illustration:

A B C D
1 xxx 1 1 1
2 xxx 1 1 1
3 xxx 3 1 1
4 xxx 3 3 1
5 xxx 5 3 3
6 xxx 5 3 3
7 xxx 7 5 3
8 xxx 7 5 3
9 xxx 9 5 5

What formula I must input at cell B1, C1 and D1 before copy downwards to get
the numbers ?

Thanks

Low

--