Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Replace one number in a sequence in a group of cells

I have a group of cells that start with 2 (201, 202, 203 etc.) and I need to
replace that with a 3 (301, 302, 303, etc). Is there a way in "find/replace"
to do this.? I don't know "macros" at all and formulas seem more complex
then just changing the first number in a sequence. Anyone know an easy way?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Apr 22, 3:05*pm, penquicw
wrote:
I have a group of cells that start with 2 (201, 202, 203 etc.) and I need to
replace that with a 3 (301, 302, 303, etc). *Is there a way in "find/replace"
to do this.? *I don't know "macros" at all and formulas seem more complex
then just changing the first number in a sequence. *Anyone know an easy way?

Assuming A1= 201 , A2= 202, and A3= 203..
then in B1 put =REPLACE(A1,1,1,3)
Then drag the formula down.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Probably the easiest is to to the number 100 in a cell and copy it then
select your range of cells and then

Edit|Paste Special
Select Add
Click OK
Delete the cell with 100 in it

Mike

"penquicw" wrote:

I have a group of cells that start with 2 (201, 202, 203 etc.) and I need to
replace that with a 3 (301, 302, 303, etc). Is there a way in "find/replace"
to do this.? I don't know "macros" at all and formulas seem more complex
then just changing the first number in a sequence. Anyone know an easy way?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That gave me the values I wanted, but I want them in the "A" column not the
"B". How do I get tehm into the "A" column and not have the "B" column.

"NPell" wrote:

On Apr 22, 3:05 pm, penquicw
wrote:
I have a group of cells that start with 2 (201, 202, 203 etc.) and I need to
replace that with a 3 (301, 302, 303, etc). Is there a way in "find/replace"
to do this.? I don't know "macros" at all and formulas seem more complex
then just changing the first number in a sequence. Anyone know an easy way?

Assuming A1= 201 , A2= 202, and A3= 203..
then in B1 put =REPLACE(A1,1,1,3)
Then drag the formula down.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Copy and paste special as values?

Peo Sjoblom

"penquicw" wrote in message
That gave me the values I wanted, but I want them in the "A" column not
the
"B". How do I get tehm into the "A" column and not have the "B" column.

"NPell" wrote:

On Apr 22, 3:05 pm, penquicw
wrote:
I have a group of cells that start with 2 (201, 202, 203 etc.) and I
need to
replace that with a 3 (301, 302, 303, etc). Is there a way in
"find/replace"
to do this.? I don't know "macros" at all and formulas seem more
complex
then just changing the first number in a sequence. Anyone know an easy
way?

Assuming A1= 201 , A2= 202, and A3= 203..
then in B1 put =REPLACE(A1,1,1,3)
Then drag the formula down.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Copy column B,
Select column A,
Edit/ Paste Special/ Values

[As always, safest to save a copy of the original version first.]
--
David Biddulph

"penquicw" wrote in message
That gave me the values I wanted, but I want them in the "A" column not
the
"B". How do I get tehm into the "A" column and not have the "B" column.

"NPell" wrote:

On Apr 22, 3:05 pm, penquicw
wrote:
I have a group of cells that start with 2 (201, 202, 203 etc.) and I
need to
replace that with a 3 (301, 302, 303, etc). Is there a way in
"find/replace"
to do this.? I don't know "macros" at all and formulas seem more
complex
then just changing the first number in a sequence. Anyone know an easy
way?

Assuming A1= 201 , A2= 202, and A3= 203..
then in B1 put =REPLACE(A1,1,1,3)
Then drag the formula down.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you want a macro...

Sub ThreeForTwoSwap()
Dim C As Range
Dim LastRow As Long
With Worksheets("Sheet1")
End With
For Each C In Range("A1:A" & LastRow)
If Left(C.Value, 1) = "2" Then C.Value = "3" & Mid(C.Value, 2)
Next
End Sub

Rick

"penquicw" wrote in message
I have a group of cells that start with 2 (201, 202, 203 etc.) and I need
replace that with a 3 (301, 302, 303, etc). Is there a way in
"find/replace"
to do this.? I don't know "macros" at all and formulas seem more complex
then just changing the first number in a sequence. Anyone know an easy
way?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I figured there was a way to make a formula a value. Thank you
everyone...That worked out great.

"penquicw" wrote in message
That gave me the values I wanted, but I want them in the "A" column not
the
"B". How do I get tehm into the "A" column and not have the "B" column.