John

Default Baseball Stat Keeping

I'm coaching a team of youngsters, and would like to track individual stats
by game (1 worksheet per game) and totals for the season. The only problem I
have is that the batting order is going to change every game (league rule).
Player1 would be in row 1 one day and row 8 the next.

So I thought that I could use the name function for each player and each
stat. Something along the lines of, SUM(Player1 Hits) in the Season Total
sheet. But you can't use the same name across sheets, and obviously the above
formula wil not work. Any chance I can make this work? Thanks!!!!
stacyjhaskins

On your "Season Total Sheet", use the lookup function (see help) and add the
lookup totals for each page.
i.e. =Lookup(bob,sheet1,hitscolumn)+Lookup(bob,sheet2,h istscolumn)+...

"John" wrote:

I'm coaching a team of youngsters, and would like to track individual stats
by game (1 worksheet per game) and totals for the season. The only problem I
have is that the batting order is going to change every game (league rule).
Player1 would be in row 1 one day and row 8 the next.

So I thought that I could use the name function for each player and each
stat. Something along the lines of, SUM(Player1 Hits) in the Season Total
sheet. But you can't use the same name across sheets, and obviously the above
formula wil not work. Any chance I can make this work? Thanks!!!!

Dave Peterson

Have you thought of using one worksheet for all your offensive data and one for
all the pitching data (and one for defense)?

You could add a column that shows the game number and you could use:
=sumif(), =countif(), =sumproduct(), pivottables to summarize your data.

You'll be able to sort by name or by game or by any other field. Then you could
use Data|Subtotals to get other stats.

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes for counting/summing at:

--

Dave Peterson
John

Well that kind of worked, thanks! The formula had to be =Lookup(Bill1,
AtBats1)+ Lookup(Bill2, AtBats2), since you can't have the same name for
different cells in the same workbook (unless I am missing something).

I was hoping that there would be an easier way. I tried this but it
obviously would not work, though I think you get the idea of what would be
perfect in the totals sheet...

=SUM(Lookup(Bill*,AtBats*))