Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default .CSV file

Hello,

I have a standard database in .CSV created with german settings, and now I
would like to use the same database files in english version. Do need to do
any kind of settings for it? because I have tried to open it in Excel (2003
SP) with english version, but it is not opening properly like in German
setting it is opening..

Please help me on this...if you need any more information on this please let
me know.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

CSV is a text file, so there are no settings as such.

If you try to open a CSV directly in Excel (in any language), Excel tends to
guess what format some of the data is, and can try to convert text into
dates or numbers (so 21-2 might be read as 21st February and 1E02 might be
read as 100). Your Windows regional settings (in control panel) will govern
how dates and numbers might be expressed. If you want to read the CSV
without misinterpretation, you can either open it with Notepad, or use Data/
Import Extenal Data and tell Excel to treat each column in turn as text.
--
David Biddulph