Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Possible to sort by date this way?

If I have a list which contains a date, but that date isn't at the beginning
of the line, so when sorting, the list can only be sorted A-Z. Any way to
make it recognize the dates?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

It would have helped to see your data layout but you may be able to extract
the dates to a helper column and sort using that.

=MID(A1,11,9)*1

Would extract a 9 character date start at position 11 in A1. You would have
to format this as a date.

Mike

"jmj713" wrote:

If I have a list which contains a date, but that date isn't at the beginning
of the line, so when sorting, the list can only be sorted A-Z. Any way to
make it recognize the dates?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry, I should've specified. I have only a year listed, so most of the look
like this:

XXXXXXXX (1993)

etc.

The formula you provided results in an error, perhaps it needs adjustment
for the four-digit year.