Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linking info from another worksheet

I have a sales order form that has an area for part number and description.
When I type in the part number I would like it to auto-populate the
description from my parts list I have on another work sheet. Is this even
possible? I would appreciate any help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

This is possible. I need to see your table layout
can you provide a small sample and the result you want
--
Hope this is helpful

Pls click the Yes button below if this post provide answer you have asked

Thank You

cheers, francis

Am not a greek but an ordinary user trying to assist another

"Cody" wrote:

I have a sales order form that has an area for part number and description.
When I type in the part number I would like it to auto-populate the
description from my parts list I have on another work sheet. Is this even
possible? I would appreciate any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Table looks something like this

Quantity Part Number Description Price per Unit Total
Price
1 00-0000 10.00
20.00
2 11-1111 20.00
40.00

I have all my part numbers and description in another sheet and I would like
it to link to this other sheet to retrieve the description when I type in the
part number. The other sheet is very basic:

Part Number Description Price
00-0000 Part 10.00

I really appreciate the help!

"Cody" wrote:

I have a sales order form that has an area for part number and description.
When I type in the part number I would like it to auto-populate the
description from my parts list I have on another work sheet. Is this even
possible? I would appreciate any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I apologize, that didn't come out looking right.

It's essentially five columns followed by a bunch of rows. The five columns
are as follows: 1. Quantitiy 2. Part Number 3. Description 4. Price per Unit
5. Total Price

I have no problem inputting the quantity, part number, and price per unit.
The total price automatically calculates based on the quantity. But I need
help auto-populating the description so I don't have to type it in every
time. The worksheet I'm wanting to retrieve this from is a basic data shee
with two columns: 1. part number 2. description. So essentially I would like
the first work sheet to populate the description from the data sheet by
matching the part number.

Thanks!

"Cody" wrote:

I have a sales order form that has an area for part number and description.
When I type in the part number I would like it to auto-populate the
description from my parts list I have on another work sheet. Is this even
possible? I would appreciate any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming your basic data sheet is called data, then put this formula
in C2 of your other sheet:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(B2,data!A:A,0)),"",VLOOKUP(B2,data! A:B,2,0))

Then copy this down as far as you need.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"Cody" wrote:

I have a sales order form that has an area for part number and description. *
When I type in the part number I would like it to auto-populate the
description from my parts list I have on another work sheet. *Is this even
possible? *I would appreciate any help!- Hide quoted text -