Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Date Conversion

I have a long list of dates which have the original format of YYYY/MM/DD. I
need to convert the list, so it is just the year and the month. I am not
picky about the format of the year and date, but I need to sort it by this.
Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I also want to add that I need to sort by this with a pivot table. I want
just one sum per month, not day. I hope this makes sense, please let me know
if you need anything else.

"Lindsey" wrote:

I have a long list of dates which have the original format of YYYY/MM/DD. I
need to convert the list, so it is just the year and the month. I am not
picky about the format of the year and date, but I need to sort it by this.
Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If they are dates (and not text) then they will sort by year, month, and date
without any conversion since all dates are internally stored as no of days
from 1/1/1900.

To get the year part use in B1 (or whatever is available)
=YEAR(A1)
and the month part in C1
=MONTH(A1)
assuming the date is in A1 and copy down... and sort