Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula in Cell Instead of Result

I have a file that's been used by many people over the past 3-4 years. I
just entered a formula into a cell:

=IF('ORL EE List'!W6="S",'ORL EE List'!G6,"")

It's a very simple formula. I have a column 'W' on a Worsheet that has one
of two values, S or H. I'm just returning another value if the column 'W'
contains an S.

The problem is this: The cell in which I've typed the formula is not
returning the formula result, instead it is actually displaying the formula
itself.

If I try 'Cntrl + `' it doesn't change anything with this particular cell.

I've never experienced this in many years of heavy Excel use?!

What's happening here? Why is the formula not working?

Thanks.

Tondos.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The cell has accidentally been formatted to Text.

Clear the cell.
Format the cell to General
Re-enter the formula
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200839

"Tondos" wrote:

I have a file that's been used by many people over the past 3-4 years. I
just entered a formula into a cell:

=IF('ORL EE List'!W6="S",'ORL EE List'!G6,"")

It's a very simple formula. I have a column 'W' on a Worsheet that has one
of two values, S or H. I'm just returning another value if the column 'W'
contains an S.

The problem is this: The cell in which I've typed the formula is not
returning the formula result, instead it is actually displaying the formula
itself.

If I try 'Cntrl + `' it doesn't change anything with this particular cell.

I've never experienced this in many years of heavy Excel use?!

What's happening here? Why is the formula not working?

Thanks.

Tondos.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried the 'General' formatting before, but it didnt' work because I didn't
actually re-enter the formula after the formatting fix.

So, when I re-enter the formula after the formatting, per your instructions,
it works!!!

Thanks so much!

Tondos