Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FT FT is offline

Default Lookups Help

Can anyone help me figure this out:

I have data that comes in sets of 8 like so:

AZ 0 1 2 3
AZ 4 5 6 7
AZ 8 9 10 11
AZ 12 13 14 15
AZ 16 17 18 19
AZ 20 21 22 23
AZ 24 25 26 27
AZ 28 29 30 31
TX 32 33 34 35
TX 36 37 38 39
TX 40 41 42 43
TX 44 45 46 47
TX 48 49 50 51
TX 52 53 54 55
TX 56 57 58 59
TX 60 61 62 63

How can I set a lookup to one value in column A (which is either AZ or
TX in this case) and have it return all 8 values for a specific column
for that lookup value (so for ex, column 3, which would be
1,5,9,13,17,21,25,29).

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the data is always in groups of 8, I'd use 9 cells.

The first cell would hold the row of the first match:

With the state abbreviation in column A1 and the table of data in Sheet2:

=match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0)
(say in B1)

Then in the next cell (C1):
=index(sheet2!c:c,b1)

D1: =index(sheet2!c:c,b1+1)
E1: =index(sheet2!c:c,b1+2)
F1: =index(sheet2!c:c,b1+3)
and so forth.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JCS JCS is offline

Hi,

I was able to do what you asked with Advanced Filtering. You will have to
add filed names to your data columns. You already have the data, now you
will need a criteria range and then a copy to range.

HTH,
John

"FT" wrote:

[...]

Lookups Daveo Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 7 October 3rd 08 11:08 PM
Lookups??? KevinUPS Excel Worksheet Functions 2 September 15th 08 07:50 PM
Lookups Sarah at DaVita Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 September 3rd 08 01:53 AM
Lookups nick Excel Worksheet Functions 0 October 3rd 05 06:37 PM
LOOKUPS - Creating LOOKUPs where two different values must BOTH be satisfied. Mr Wiffy Excel Worksheet Functions 2 May 16th 05 04:29 AM