Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Lookups

I have a table like this.
begin end answer
..05 .08 1
..09 .16 2
..17 .25 3
I have sheet with information like this
0.03
0.08
0.16
0.195
0.24
I want to look up the number in the sheet and find the range and return the
full number. So .16 would return a two and .195 would return a 3.
Can excel handle this? I could use nested if statements but then formula
gets very long.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You don't actually need the end column in your table, but you will
have to define a condition for when your value is less than 0.05.

Assume your table with headings is in J1:L4, and that your data is in
column A starting with A1, then put this formula in B1:

=IF(A1<$J$2,"too small",VLOOKUP(A1,$J$2:$L$4,3))

Instead of "too small" you could have 0. Then copy this formula down
for as many values as you have in column A.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 2, 11:02*pm, Sarah at DaVita .
(donotspam) wrote:
I have a table like this.
begin * end * answer
.05 * * * *.08 * * *1
.09 * * * *.16 * * *2
.17 * * * *.25 * * *3
I have sheet with information like this
0.03
0.08
0.16
0.195
0.24
I want to look up the number in the sheet and find the range and return the
full number. *So .16 would return a two and .195 would return a 3.
Can excel handle this? *I could use nested if statements but then formula
gets very long.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Glad to hear you found something that worked for you.

Pete

(donotspam) wrote:
I have a table like this.
begin * end * answer
.05 * * * *.08 * * *1
.09 * * * *.16 * * *2
.17 * * * *.25 * * *3
I have sheet with information like this
0.03
0.08
0.16
0.195
0.24
I want to look up the number in the sheet and find the range and return the
full number. *So .16 would return a two and .195 would return a 3.
Can excel handle this? *I could use nested if statements but then formula
gets very long.- Hide quoted text -

V Lookups Sue T Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 October 30th 07 02:17 PM
Lookups Sal Excel Worksheet Functions 4 April 17th 06 07:59 AM
Maybe I need help with Lookups?? garry05 Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 8th 05 02:26 AM
Lookups nick Excel Worksheet Functions 0 October 3rd 05 06:37 PM
LOOKUPS - Creating LOOKUPs where two different values must BOTH be satisfied. Mr Wiffy Excel Worksheet Functions 2 May 16th 05 04:29 AM