Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sal

Default Lookups

Hi
Can you please tell me what the 0 stands for at the end of this formula?

=INDEX(A2:A6,MATCH("Belfast",C2:C6,0))

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

It tells match to find an exact match in help there are explanations for 1
and -1 as well

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"Sal" wrote in message
Hi
Can you please tell me what the 0 stands for at the end of this formula?

=INDEX(A2:A6,MATCH("Belfast",C2:C6,0))

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey

From XL Help ("Match")

MATCH
Syntax
MATCH(lookup_value,lookup_array,match_type)
Match_type is the number -1, 0, or 1. Match_type specifies how
Microsoft Excel matches lookup_value with values in lookup_array.

If match_type is 1, MATCH finds the largest value that is less than or
equal to lookup_value. Lookup_array must be placed in ascending order:
....-2, -1, 0, 1, 2, ..., A-Z, FALSE, TRUE.

If match_type is 0, MATCH finds the first value that is exactly equal
to lookup_value. Lookup_array can be in any order.

If match_type is -1, MATCH finds the smallest value that is greater
than or equal to lookup_value. Lookup_array must be placed in descending
order: TRUE, FALSE, Z-A,...2, 1, 0, -1, -2,..., and so on.

If match_type is omitted, it is assumed to be 1.

In article ,
Sal wrote:

Hi
Can you please tell me what the 0 stands for at the end of this formula?

=INDEX(A2:A6,MATCH("Belfast",C2:C6,0))

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sal

Hi again
Thank you for the information - most helpful.
Is there anywhere that I can go that will give me a quick run through on
things like LOOKUPS, IFS, NESTED IFS, COUNTIF etc.
ANy direction would be gratefully received.
Thank you.