Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default help w/ sorting by number of occurances...

Hi, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I need to sort data by the number of times it occurs... for instance column
A contains one type of data. Contained in column A is
Value X
Value X
Value Z
Value Y
Value X
Value Y
Value Y
Value X

So what I'm looking for is a command that puts the lines in order by the
number of times a value occurs... for instance the above example would be
sorted showing all X's at the top of the list as they occur the most... Y
would be next, followed by Z since it only occurs once.

I'm sorry if I'm not expressing this appropriately, but hopefully you follow
what I am needing to do.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me with this!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use the CountIf function in an adjoining column...
= CountIf($A$1:$A$1000, A1) and fill down.
Sort both columns descending using the new column as the key.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"kmik"
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Actually they have, its call Excel Services. Here are two books on the
subject Professional Excel Services, Shahar Prish, Wrox. and Beginning Excel
Services same publisher Wrox.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire