Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Cone[_2_] Jim Cone[_2_] is offline

Default help w/ sorting by number of occurances...

Use the CountIf function in an adjoining column...
= CountIf($A$1:$A$1000, A1) and fill down.
Sort both columns descending using the new column as the key.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"kmik"
wrote in message
Hi, any suggestions would be much appreciated.
I need to sort data by the number of times it occurs... for instance column
A contains one type of data. Contained in column A is
Value X
Value X
Value Z
Value Y
Value X
Value Y
Value Y
Value X

So what I'm looking for is a command that puts the lines in order by the
number of times a value occurs... for instance the above example would be
sorted showing all X's at the top of the list as they occur the most... Y
would be next, followed by Z since it only occurs once.

I'm sorry if I'm not expressing this appropriately, but hopefully you follow
what I am needing to do.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me with this!