Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Filter first two characters

Hello,
I need to filter a column of data that has 4 characters on the first two
characters only.

1100
1110
1140
1190
1550
1590
1600
1700

I want to filter everything starting with 11xx and 15xx. The list will vary
by month but I will always need those two groups.

Thanks!
Mary
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming you're using AutoFilters...

Open filter, choose custom
Criteria1, look for 11*
Choose "or"
Criteria2, look for 15*
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Mary" wrote:

Hello,
I need to filter a column of data that has 4 characters on the first two
characters only.

1100
1110
1140
1190
1550
1590
1600
1700

I want to filter everything starting with 11xx and 15xx. The list will vary
by month but I will always need those two groups.

Thanks!
Mary

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If those are text values--not real numbers, you can use:
Begins with 11
or
begins with 15

if they're real numbers, you could use a separate helper column with a formula
like:
=""&a2
(and drag down)

Then filter on this helper column--since it's text.

Or you could insert a helper column and use a formula like:
=or(a2=1100,a2<1200,a2=1500,a2<1600)
and filter that column to show Trues

(xl2003 supports up to 2 criteria in the custom filter dialog--I don't recall
what xl2007 supports.)

Mary wrote:

Hello,
I need to filter a column of data that has 4 characters on the first two
characters only.

1100
1110
1140
1190
1550
1590
1600
1700

I want to filter everything starting with 11xx and 15xx. The list will vary
by month but I will always need those two groups.

Thanks!
Mary

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you both, I've got that piece working thanks to you!

This leads to my next question. Now that I've filtered the rows I want to
see, how can I select just those rows and copy them to a new spreadsheet
where I can do some calculations?

Thanks again,
Mary

"Mary" wrote:

Hello,
I need to filter a column of data that has 4 characters on the first two
characters only.

1100
1110
1140
1190
1550
1590
1600
1700

I want to filter everything starting with 11xx and 15xx. The list will vary
by month but I will always need those two groups.

Thanks!
Mary

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

do the filter