Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Filter first two characters

If those are text values--not real numbers, you can use:
Begins with 11
or
begins with 15

if they're real numbers, you could use a separate helper column with a formula
like:
=""&a2
(and drag down)

Then filter on this helper column--since it's text.

Or you could insert a helper column and use a formula like:
=or(a2=1100,a2<1200,a2=1500,a2<1600)
and filter that column to show Trues

(xl2003 supports up to 2 criteria in the custom filter dialog--I don't recall
what xl2007 supports.)

Mary wrote:

Hello,
I need to filter a column of data that has 4 characters on the first two
characters only.

1100
1110
1140
1190
1550
1590
1600
1700

I want to filter everything starting with 11xx and 15xx. The list will vary
by month but I will always need those two groups.

Thanks!
Mary

--

Dave Peterson