Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel formulae

I need to work out discount rate from price
Example
50 divided by 1.1 gives me the correct result 45
But if I divide 150 by 1.2 instead of giving me 120 the result is 125
I need one formulae I dont want work out first the discount rate and then
price - discount

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

50 / 1.1 = 45.4545, which may not be what you are looking for.

As you haven't told us what you want to do, my guess is that you are trying
to apply a 10% discount. If so, the formula is:
=50 * (1-10%) = 45.00

In the second formula, assuming you want to calculate a 20% discount, the
same formula applies:
=150 * (1-20%) = 125.00

Hope this helps. If not, post back with a specific request.

Regards,
Fred.

"anna" wrote in message
I need to work out discount rate from price
Example
50 divided by 1.1 gives me the correct result 45
But if I divide 150 by 1.2 instead of giving me 120 the result is 125
I need one formulae I dont want work out first the discount rate and
then
price - discount

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If price is in A1 and discount percentage in B1 (either in the form of 10% or
like 0.10) use this in C1
=A1*(1-B1) to get the discounted price...

or use
= 150 * (1 - 20%)

or use
= 150 * (1 - 0.20)

"anna" wrote:

I need to work out discount rate from price
Example
50 divided by 1.1 gives me the correct result 45
But if I divide 150 by 1.2 instead of giving me 120 the result is 125
I need one formulae I dont want work out first the discount rate and then
price - discount

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Fred
i had the same results so i tried
=150-(150*0.2) and then i got 120, which is the result i was looking for

"anna" wrote in message
I need to work out discount rate from price
Example
50 divided by 1.1 gives me the correct result 45
But if I divide 150 by 1.2 instead of giving me 120 the result is 125
I need one formulae I dont want work out first the discount rate and
then
price - discount

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your respond and help it works, but I also worked out that
=A1-(A1*B1)
gives me the result I wanted
Cheers Anna