Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Subtract a known percentage

Hello,

Assume cell A1 has the % of discount I need to offer. (say 5%)
Assume cell A2 has the gross amount before a discount is calculated...(say
£100)
and I just want the net amount (ie after disccount in cell A1 is applied) to
be in cell A3

What should the formula in cell A3 look like (to result in £95) Sure this is
easy for many...but its got me beaten. I know I can just put a formula of
0.95*A2. But thats not what I wnat to, as I will need to change the actual
value in A1 frequently, and dont want to have to change the foumala each time
I make that change.

Thank you very much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With 5% in A1:

=A2*(1-A1)

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"spudsnruf" wrote in message
Hello,

Assume cell A1 has the % of discount I need to offer. (say 5%)
Assume cell A2 has the gross amount before a discount is calculated...(say
£100)
and I just want the net amount (ie after disccount in cell A1 is applied)
be in cell A3

What should the formula in cell A3 look like (to result in £95) Sure this
is
easy for many...but its got me beaten. I know I can just put a formula of
0.95*A2. But thats not what I wnat to, as I will need to change the actual
value in A1 frequently, and dont want to have to change the foumala each
time
I make that change.

Thank you very much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thats perfect. Thank you very much.

"Elkar" wrote:

How about this:

=A2-(A2*A1)

HTH
Elkar

Subtract Chi Excel Worksheet Functions 0 April 1st 08 02:52 PM
divide a total, subtract one then format as a percentage [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 4 November 27th 06 08:14 PM
Calculating a percentage with the end percentage in mind Shadowshady Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 June 17th 06 09:41 AM
Bar Chart depicting the "percentage of another percentage(less than 100)" TEAM Charts and Charting in Excel 1 October 28th 05 05:06 AM
Add IF or Subtract IF?? RJ Excel Worksheet Functions 4 November 30th 04 09:03 PM