Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Intermittant problem

In some of my spread sheets, when I click on a single cell, Excel highlights
multiple connecting cells at the same time. (sometimes two, three, or four)
Always vertically, not horizontally.

What causes this, and how can I fix it?
(it's really a pain in the...and makes working on individual cells difficult.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Look to the bottom left of your Excel window where you see NUM are there
any other function names there?, if EXT is there then hit F11 and things
should be back to normal.

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=72578

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

I don't think you want F11 - that is Insert Chart.

You can cancel Extend mode with either F8 or Esc

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

BoomerD;259953 Wrote:
In some of my spread sheets, when I click on a single cell, Excel
highlights
multiple connecting cells at the same time. (sometimes two, three, or
four)
Always vertically, not horizontally.

What causes this, and how can I fix it?
(it's really a pain in the...and makes working on individual cells
difficult.)

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=72578

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Always vertical, not horizontal certainly rules out being in Extended mode
as others have suggested.

If using Excel 2007 it has been reported that changing the Zoom level a bit
will stop the multi-cell selection.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 12:22:00 -0800, BoomerD
wrote:

In some of my spread sheets, when I click on a single cell, Excel highlights
multiple connecting cells at the same time. (sometimes two, three, or four)
Always vertically, not horizontally.

What causes this, and how can I fix it?
(it's really a pain in the...and makes working on individual cells difficult.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

BoomerD;259953 Wrote:
In some of my spread sheets, when I click on a single cell, Excel
highlights
multiple connecting cells at the same time. (sometimes two, three,

or
four)
Always vertically, not horizontally.

What causes this, and how can I fix it?
(it's really a pain in the...and makes working on individual cells
difficult.)

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
'The Code Cage' ('The Code Cage' (http://www.thecodecage.com))

Simon Lloyd's Profile: 'The Code Cage Forums - View Profile: Simon

Lloyd' (http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=1)
View this thread: 'Intermittant problem - The Code Cage Forums'

(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=72578)

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=72578

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll check this out later and report back.

As you can imagine, it makes working with functions and such...awkward at
best.

FWIW, this happens when using a mouse click, not keyboard to select cells.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If only with mouse, it's definitely not the F8 Extended mode problem.

In Extended mode, moving with the arrow keys also selects cells.

That should narrow it down.

Gord

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 11:17:01 -0700, BoomerD
wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll check this out later and report back.

As you can imagine, it makes working with functions and such...awkward at
best.

FWIW, this happens when using a mouse click, not keyboard to select cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Always vertical, not horizontal certainly rules out being in Extended mode
as others have suggested.

If using Excel 2007 it has been reported that changing the Zoom level a bit
will stop the multi-cell selection.

Now THIS is odd.
At 80%, it selects 2 cells.
At 90% it selects 3 cells.
At 100 and 110% it selects 4 cells.
At 120%, it only selects 1 cell.

What the heck causes this?
It doesn't happen in all spreadsheets, but once it happens in one, it ALWAYS
happens in that sheet, and in the same place.(s)

wrote:

In some of my spread sheets, when I click on a single cell, Excel highlights
multiple connecting cells at the same time. (sometimes two, three, or four)
Always vertically, not horizontally.

What causes this, and how can I fix it?
(it's really a pain in the...and makes working on individual cells difficult.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A quick correction.
At 110%, it highlights 5 cells...

Unfortunately, my eyes won't let me work at much less than 80%, and more
than 120% gets unwieldy.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know the cause and haven't worked with 2007 long enough to see the
problem arise.

No idea where to go from here.

Anybody?

Gord