Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DEE DEE is offline

Default Most Widely Used Applications of Excel

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a resource page that would outline some of
the most common uses of Excel. In other words, for example, the main reasons
Sales Reps, or Customer Service Reps, or Manufacturing Industry, Service
business, etc. use Excel.

So, more of a general application description, such as Top/Bottom 10% Sales
Figures, etc. as opposed to Pivot Tables, vLookups, etc.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

The problem with this question is that there are at least 750,000,000 users
of Excel and each one probably uses it in some unique way in there particular
industry. Hopefully someone will be more helpful than that.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Dee" wrote:

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a resource page that would outline some of
the most common uses of Excel. In other words, for example, the main reasons
Sales Reps, or Customer Service Reps, or Manufacturing Industry, Service
business, etc. use Excel.

So, more of a general application description, such as Top/Bottom 10% Sales
Figures, etc. as opposed to Pivot Tables, vLookups, etc.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have no idea if this is true, but I remember reading a few years ago that the
majority of excel workbooks don't contain formulas.

That means that they're used as flat file databases--typewriters with nice
columns (if you will).

I know that there were lots of excel workbooks where I used to work that were
tracking databases only. Yeah, autofilters were turned on and =subtotal()'s
were used. Maybe summary reports/pivottables, too.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I once read somewhere it was shopping lists.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Dee" wrote in message

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a resource page that would outline some
of
the most common uses of Excel. In other words, for example, the main
reasons
Sales Reps, or Customer Service Reps, or Manufacturing Industry, Service
business, etc. use Excel.

So, more of a general application description, such as Top/Bottom 10%
Sales
Figures, etc. as opposed to Pivot Tables, vLookups, etc.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I bet lists of records/tapes/cd's used to be popular, too. With MP3s and the
like, not so much.

Books and DVDs, too???

"Dee" wrote in message

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a resource page that would outline some
of
the most common uses of Excel. In other words, for example, the main
reasons
Sales Reps, or Customer Service Reps, or Manufacturing Industry, Service
business, etc. use Excel.

So, more of a general application description, such as Top/Bottom 10%
Sales
Figures, etc. as opposed to Pivot Tables, vLookups, etc.

Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I use it to make word search puzzles.

Most people have a calculator handy when they need to do some quick
calculations. I *always* have Excel open and running and use it for my quick
calcs.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Dee" wrote in message

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a resource page that would outline
some
of
the most common uses of Excel. In other words, for example, the main
reasons
Sales Reps, or Customer Service Reps, or Manufacturing Industry,
Service
business, etc. use Excel.

So, more of a general application description, such as Top/Bottom 10%
Sales
Figures, etc. as opposed to Pivot Tables, vLookups, etc.

Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DEE DEE is offline

Thanks for your responses - both the serious and the not-so-serious ones.
Shopping lists indeed! :-)