Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default New question on formatting dates from 20090218

I have a column of dates typed as text like +20090218. I've searched this
board for ways to get them into a more readable format such as 2/18/2009.
I've followed everyone's suggestion (and done it on the column as text and as
numbers) and the best I can get is that it comes out as # signs. Usually to
me that means expand the column. When I do that, it's just number signs as
far as I can see.

So far, that's the only way it changes. Usually, it doesn't change at all.

More suggestions would be appreciated?

Bonnie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

All of them have a plus sign in front of them? All of them have 8 digits?

If yes and assuming they are in Col A

then put this B1
=MID(A1,2,4)

this in C1
=MID(A1,6,2)

this in D1
=RIGHT(A1,2)

and finally this in E1
==DATE(B1,C1,D1)

Copy the formulas down...

If it does not work then pl. upload to wikisend.com and paste the link here
or mail it to me... I will fix and send back.

You can Copy and PASTE SPECIAL as VALUES once you are happy with the
results...

"GoBonnieGo" wrote:

I have a column of dates typed as text like +20090218. I've searched this
board for ways to get them into a more readable format such as 2/18/2009.
I've followed everyone's suggestion (and done it on the column as text and as
numbers) and the best I can get is that it comes out as # signs. Usually to
me that means expand the column. When I do that, it's just number signs as
far as I can see.

So far, that's the only way it changes. Usually, it doesn't change at all.

More suggestions would be appreciated?

Bonnie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Highlight all the dates, and choose Data, Text to Columns, choose Fixed
Width, Next. In the data preview area click between the + and the date.
Click Next. In the data preview area select the first column, the one with
the + and click Do not import (Skip). Select the second column, your dates
and open the Date drop-down and choose YMD. Click Finish.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire