Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AZU AZU is offline

Default Insert pictures

I've protected my worksheet (an incident report form), but left some cells
unlocked so as the user can enter information. I can enter text, but cannot
enter (insert) a picture from file (for incident photos). I can enter the
photos when the whole sheet is unprotected, but that would leave other cells
and information vunrable to being changed.

signed,
Overly Confused
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

when you protect the sheet, check the Edit objects option in the dialog box.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"AZU" wrote:

I've protected my worksheet (an incident report form), but left some cells
unlocked so as the user can enter information. I can enter text, but cannot
enter (insert) a picture from file (for incident photos). I can enter the
photos when the whole sheet is unprotected, but that would leave other cells
and information vunrable to being changed.

signed,
Overly Confused

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AZU AZU is offline

No, sorry it never worked. I click on "Insert"-Picture- (but everything
here is grayed out). I'll keep trying other options, but I'm running out of
ideas.

"AZU" wrote:

I've protected my worksheet (an incident report form), but left some cells
unlocked so as the user can enter information. I can enter text, but cannot
enter (insert) a picture from file (for incident photos). I can enter the
photos when the whole sheet is unprotected, but that would leave other cells
and information vunrable to being changed.

signed,
Overly Confused

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

1. You can't insert a picture into a cell so it doesn't matter if cells are
locked or unlocked.

2. You will have to use a macro that unprotects, inserts the picture then
re-protects.

Something like this.................

Sub insert_pic()
ActiveSheet.Unprotect
filetoopen = Application _
.GetOpenFilename("pictures (*.jpg), *.jpg")
'browse to a folder and double-click on desired *.jpg
If filetoopen < False Then
ActiveSheet.Pictures.Insert (filetoopen)
End If
ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=False
'DrawingObjects:=False allows editing the inserted picture
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 15:13:02 -0800, AZU
wrote:

I've protected my worksheet (an incident report form), but left some cells
unlocked so as the user can enter information. I can enter text, but cannot
enter (insert) a picture from file (for incident photos). I can enter the
photos when the whole sheet is unprotected, but that would leave other cells
and information vunrable to being changed.

signed,
Overly Confused

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want a password on the protection use these lines instead.

Sub insert_pic()
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="justme"
rest of code<<<<

ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="justme", DrawingObjects:=False
End Sub

Then you could lock the project from viewing to prevent snoopers from seeing
the code and the sheet protection password.

Alt F11 to open VBE

Right-click on your project ans select VBAProject PropertiesProtection

Selected locked for viewing and enter a password.

Save the file to enable the locking.

Gord

wrote:

I've protected my worksheet (an incident report form), but left some cells
unlocked so as the user can enter information. I can enter text, but cannot
enter (insert) a picture from file (for incident photos). I can enter the
photos when the whole sheet is unprotected, but that would leave other cells
and information vunrable to being changed.

signed,
Overly Confused

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AZU AZU is offline

Thanks, I'll try that. I'm not good at VB, but I'll try and muddle through
it. Trial & Error.....