Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Apply Conditional Formatting If Data in More Than 1 Cell Matches

I have 2 cells that contain data. The data in both these cells will be
compared against one another.

If the data between the 2 cells MATCH, then turn both cells green.
If the data between the 2 cells DIFFER, then turn both cells red.

For example:

If cell L14 matches cell F14, then turn F14 green
If cell L14 does not match cell F14, then turn F14 red

Do I need to use an "IF" statement combined with conditional formatting to
achieve this?

What would the formula look like?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're description doesn't match.

* added for emphasis.

If the... 2 cells MATCH, then turn *both* cells green.
If the... 2 cells DIFFER, then turn *both* cells red.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Maureen" wrote in message
I have 2 cells that contain data. The data in both these cells will be
compared against one another.

If the data between the 2 cells MATCH, then turn both cells green.
If the data between the 2 cells DIFFER, then turn both cells red.

For example:

If cell L14 matches cell F14, then turn F14 green
If cell L14 does not match cell F14, then turn F14 red

Do I need to use an "IF" statement combined with conditional formatting to
achieve this?

What would the formula look like?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Apply Conditional Formatting If Data in More Than 1 Cell Match

Let me clarify:
If the 2 cells match, I want both cells to turn green
If the 2 cells do not math, I want both cells to turn red

Updated example:
If L14 matches F14; turn L14 and F14 green.
If L14 does not match F14; turn L14 and F14 red.

I am not sure how to write the formula to apply the conditional formatting.

"Maureen" wrote in message
I have 2 cells that contain data. The data in both these cells will be
compared against one another.

If the data between the 2 cells MATCH, then turn both cells green.
If the data between the 2 cells DIFFER, then turn both cells red.

For example:

If cell L14 matches cell F14, then turn F14 green
If cell L14 does not match cell F14, then turn F14 red

Do I need to use an "IF" statement combined with conditional formatting to
achieve this?

What would the formula look like?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this...

I don't know if need you to take empty/blank cells into account. If both
cells are empty/blank they will match. So, I'll write the formulas to
account for empty/blank cells. This means no format will be applied unless
both cells contain some entry.

Select cells F14 and L14
Goto the menu FormatConditional Formatting
Condition 1 = GREEN
Select the Formula Is option
=AND($F14<"",$L14<"",$F14=$L14)
Click the Format button
Select the Patterns tab
Select a nice shade of GREEN
OK
Click the Add button
Condition 2 = RED
Select the Formula Is option
=AND($F14<"",$L14<"",$F14<$L14)
Click the Format button
Select the Patterns tab
Select a nice shade of RED
OK out

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Maureen" wrote in message
I have 2 cells that contain data. The data in both these cells will be
compared against one another.

If the data between the 2 cells MATCH, then turn both cells green.
If the data between the 2 cells DIFFER, then turn both cells red.

For example:

If cell L14 matches cell F14, then turn F14 green
If cell L14 does not match cell F14, then turn F14 red

Do I need to use an "IF" statement combined with conditional formatting
achieve this?

What would the formula look like?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Biff