Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Apply Conditional Formatting If Data in More Than 1 Cell Match

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Maureen" wrote in message
That worked great!
Thanks

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this...

I don't know if need you to take empty/blank cells into account. If both
cells are empty/blank they will match. So, I'll write the formulas to
account for empty/blank cells. This means no format will be applied
unless
both cells contain some entry.

Select cells F14 and L14
Goto the menu FormatConditional Formatting
Condition 1 = GREEN
Select the Formula Is option
=AND($F14<"",$L14<"",$F14=$L14)
Click the Format button
Select the Patterns tab
Select a nice shade of GREEN
OK
Click the Add button
Condition 2 = RED
Select the Formula Is option
=AND($F14<"",$L14<"",$F14<$L14)
Click the Format button
Select the Patterns tab
Select a nice shade of RED
OK out

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Maureen" wrote in message
Let me clarify:
If the 2 cells match, I want both cells to turn green
If the 2 cells do not math, I want both cells to turn red

Updated example:
If L14 matches F14; turn L14 and F14 green.
If L14 does not match F14; turn L14 and F14 red.

I am not sure how to write the formula to apply the conditional
formatting.

"T. Valko" wrote:

You're description doesn't match.

* added for emphasis.

If the... 2 cells MATCH, then turn *both* cells green.
If the... 2 cells DIFFER, then turn *both* cells red.

If cell L14 matches cell F14, then turn *F14* green
If cell L14 does not match cell F14, then turn *F14* red

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Maureen" wrote in message
I have 2 cells that contain data. The data in both these cells will
be
compared against one another.

If the data between the 2 cells MATCH, then turn both cells green.
If the data between the 2 cells DIFFER, then turn both cells red.

For example:

If cell L14 matches cell F14, then turn F14 green
If cell L14 does not match cell F14, then turn F14 red

Do I need to use an "IF" statement combined with conditional
formatting
achieve this?

What would the formula look like?