Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2007 Taskbar Tab shows Icon + "Microsoft Excel - filename"

Windows Vista Bus / Excel 2007:
How do I show just the filename on my Excel taskbar tabs?

My taskbar shows [Excel Icon] "Microsoft Excel - Filename1", with multiple
tabs on my taskbar I typically can't see which "Filename" is which because
there is not enough space. eg. "Microsoft Excel - Fil"
MS Word Tabs on the taskbar only show [Word Icon] filename.
The Word and Excel Icons are enough to know what app the tab is, I don't
need to see the words "Microsoft Excel"
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is probably because Excel is opening all workbooks in separate
instances...

Try
Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe (most likely C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\Office12)

In that case StartRun "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office12\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes
required)OK

"glastron99" wrote:

Windows Vista Bus / Excel 2007:
How do I show just the filename on my Excel taskbar tabs?

My taskbar shows [Excel Icon] "Microsoft Excel - Filename1", with multiple
tabs on my taskbar I typically can't see which "Filename" is which because
there is not enough space. eg. "Microsoft Excel - Fil"
MS Word Tabs on the taskbar only show [Word Icon] filename.
The Word and Excel Icons are enough to know what app the tab is, I don't
need to see the words "Microsoft Excel"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2007 Taskbar Tab shows Icon + "Microsoft Excel - filenam

Thx Sheeloo.
The full path worked, mostly. If I open 1 excel workbook it still shows
"Microsoft Excel". Once I open a second workbook the "MS Excel" disappears,
even if I close the 2nd workbook the "MS Excel" doesn't re-appear.
When I open a word doc "MS Word" flashes in the Taskbar Tab for a
microsecond, then just shows the Icon and filename.

Thx again, I'm very impressed with the speed and accuracy of the response.

"glastron99" wrote:

Windows Vista Bus / Excel 2007:
How do I show just the filename on my Excel taskbar tabs?

My taskbar shows [Excel Icon] "Microsoft Excel - Filename1", with multiple
tabs on my taskbar I typically can't see which "Filename" is which because
there is not enough space. eg. "Microsoft Excel - Fil"
MS Word Tabs on the taskbar only show [Word Icon] filename.
The Word and Excel Icons are enough to know what app the tab is, I don't
need to see the words "Microsoft Excel"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are welcome... Happy that it worked for you.

Yes, I also noticed that...

Did you also notice that all tabs for Word documents have ' - Microsoft
Word' at the end of the document name?

I will try to find whether we can change this behaviour...

Maybe someone else will know the answer and share with us.

"glastron99" wrote:

Windows Vista Bus / Excel 2007:
How do I show just the filename on my Excel taskbar tabs?

My taskbar shows [Excel Icon] "Microsoft Excel - Filename1", with multiple
tabs on my taskbar I typically can't see which "Filename" is which because
there is not enough space. eg. "Microsoft Excel - Fil"
MS Word Tabs on the taskbar only show [Word Icon] filename.
The Word and Excel Icons are enough to know what app the tab is, I don't
need to see the words "Microsoft Excel"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The following solution didn't work for me. I'm using office 2003, not sure if
that makes a difference. Basically Windows wouldn't let me run excel with any
command-line switches like /unregserver.

Apparently this titling of taskbar icons changed between Office 2000 &
Office 2003. My office just upgraded to Office 2003, though I still have
Office 2000 on the computer (don't ask me why). It's really apparent - if I
open up two files names "Spreadsheet A.xls" and "Spreadsheet B.xls" in Excel
2000, the taskbar icons show just those filenames - perfect! In Excel 2003,
if I open both spreadsheets, the taskbar icons both just say "Microsoft
Excel". I have numerous spreadsheets up during the day and it's frustrating
not to be able to see at a glance which is which.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

"glastron99" wrote:

Windows Vista Bus / Excel 2007:
How do I show just the filename on my Excel taskbar tabs?

My taskbar shows [Excel Icon] "Microsoft Excel - Filename1", with multiple
tabs on my taskbar I typically can't see which "Filename" is which because
there is not enough space. eg. "Microsoft Excel - Fil"
MS Word Tabs on the taskbar only show [Word Icon] filename.
The Word and Excel Icons are enough to know what app the tab is, I don't
need to see the words "Microsoft Excel"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My suggestion should work of 2003 too...

Since it is your office computer you may not have the rights to execute the
commands. Ask your help-desk to do it for you.

Which version is the default version? 2000 or 2003?